Double hung tilt window balance replacement

A handy person from Minneapolis says:
Please give me the correct part I need to replace this. Length didn't match any you had on your site. I guess I'll need two.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3166.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3165.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3170.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3169.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. If the diameter of the outer tube is 5/8", then you have a Series 600 Spiral Balance. Now it's a bit hard for me to tell the length from just viewing an up-close picture of measuring tape alongside the tip of the balance. Be sure to not include the colored tip in your measurement. However, if the outer tube measures around 28-1/2" long, we recommend that you simply round up to 29" and go with the S600-29. You can afford a little extra length with spiral balances, but you can't get away with less, because then you risk the spiral rod getting detached from the outer tube. Finally, it looks like you will need a blue tip option, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 12 through 31 lbs. 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Measuring the white tube for the tube diameter is best since our balances comes in a metal casing. So, it sounds like you are in the right track on getting the replacement you need. I just want to confirm that when you are measuring for the length, you are measuring the same way as the diagram below. 

How to measure the tube length of the S600 spiral balance.
How to measure the tube length of the S600 spiral balance.

If everything is a yes, then you should be ok to go.

A handy person from Minneapolis says:
Do you consider the white plastic, the outer tube? Or, do you only consider the metal portion? Measuring the white it is 5/8". Measuring only the inner metal portion it is closer to 3/8"
The length is 28-1/4". So, I'll order a 29".
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.