Double hung vinyl tilt window repairs and maintenance

A quick learner from Florida says:

I have purchased a condo that has double hung vinyl tilt windows. I do not know the brand or age of windows, my guess is more than 20 yrs old. None of the windows operate with ease and one is missing the locking device and the shoe is broken. Obviously the shoe and locking device need to be replaced. How do I know if the spiral balances can be repaired or should be replaced. Would adjusting tension on the spiral balances solve the problem?

Thank you for your reply.

Margaret 

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello Margaret,

With spiral balances you usually get a life span of 10 to 15 years. If you are saying this is more than a 20-year-old home, it most likely sounds like it's time to make the move in replacing your hardware. 

We can definitely help you with this. Please send us some pictures of the parts you are looking to replace and we can get started on compiling some recommendations for you. 

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

A quick learner from Brooksville Fl says:
Double hung vinyl tilt windows difficult to open and close. Do not know manufacturer or age of windows
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spiral balace engaged in shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180410_132722.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Slide.lock and broken shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi- thanks so much for posting! 

Based on your photos, we believe you have our 26-390 and our 26-391 top tilt latches. They are 2-7/8" long by 3/4" wide and 5/16" thick. Please compare these dimensions to your latches. 

For the pivot shoe, we will need the width and thickness to better determine the replacement you'll need. We would also like to see your pivot bar that attaches to your sash. Thanks in advance! 

A quick learner from Brooksville, Fl says:
I also need the spiral charging tool 75-006.
Thank you
Margaret May
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180413_145956.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180412_094448.jpg
A quick learner from United States says:

I removed a working pivot shoe to get a better picture of what my windows have. 

It measures;

1-1/4" wide
2-1/8" long 
9/16" thick 

Thanks for all the help from everyone of your team members.
Margaret

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 13041856510.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 13041856509.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 13041856508.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 13041856506.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 13041856507.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us, Margaret. I recommend that you look at our 26-390  and 26-391 tilt latches, like I mentioned before, as well as our Series 600 spiral balance, 15-188 pivot shoe, and 75-006 charging tool. Look over our pictures and information carefully to confirm that these parts match. If you have any questions, let me know.

How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.