Double hung window balance

A quick learner from California says:

Hello, According to the sticker on the window I have a series 325 double hung window with single coil balances. The springs have broken and there are no model numbers on them. Which window balances do I buy?

Regards,

Eric

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3FBA3FDE-3291-49E5-88A6-7884017D4490.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Eric. Thank you for your patience during this busy season. I am very confident that I can get you the right balances for your window, but I can't actually narrow it down from the provided images. If possible, can you show me a picture of the pivot shoe that these springs attach to? We use that as a "key," so to speak, to figure out the whole assembly.

Can you also tell me how thick the springs are? That will allow me to make sure I get you something that fits in the track.

A quick learner from California says:
I have attached a photo of the shoe. Hopefully this helps.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4EA187D7-2366-4DBA-A905-0D7476469894.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That is a huge help, thank you! I believe what you have here is an older version of our 15-228. With that in mind, you could use either our 1/2" thick Series 160 or the 3/8" thick Series 165. These two springs just so happen to look exactly like the ones in your first photo, so I think this is the right way to go. You just need to measure how thick your spring is and pick accordingly.

Once you have the Series, you still need to pick the strength option. This is usually pretty easy since the weight that the spring can carry is just printed on it, but you said you had no markings so it will be a little more difficult in your case. What you'll need to do instead is weigh your sash on a scale and then divide that by how many springs support it in total.

For example, if your sash is 10 pounds and you only have 1 spring on each side (2 total), then you would want the 5 pound strength option. 

Hopefully that makes sense. Let me know if you had any questions and I will do my best to assist you.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.