Double hung window repair.

A home owner from Shawnee, kS says:
Hello and thanks for your help. The bottom sash of a double hung window will not stay up. The top sash is fixed. The lock on the window is stamped with "Alliance." The sash is approximately 30x40 and weighs probably 40 pounds. Removal and inspection revealed broken plastic in the pivot shoe on one side. The shoe appears to be your part 15-111 or 15-191. I am able to remove the shoe, but having problems getting the coil support (assuming a double) out. My part is stamped 801020 (see photo). Since I can't get the support out I can't tell how heavy or types the coils are. A couple questions: Does the coil attach to the replacement shoe by simplifying lifting all the way up or must the coil be remove and attached to the shoe? Is there a difference between the two pivot shoes listed above? If removed, any guidance for removing that part would be appreciated. Thank you. Matt
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6DECA54F-759D-4975-90DE-DE14E8871468.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0125BEAD-3F02-4A15-BBA8-2790B9C93893.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6DDC7FCF-F8DE-4837-ABB3-38E5874A9A9E.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. Yes, this looks like the 15-191 Pivot Shoe, which is just a heavy duty version of the 15-111. This system uses either 1/2" thick Series 160 Coil Balances or 3/8" thick Series 165 balances. Removing and measuring the thickness of the springs is the only reliable way to confirm which you need. See if the video below assists you in the removal and replacement process. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.