Drafty window channels

A quick learner from Brooklyn, NY says:
Hi, Can you please let me know if you have some insulation that can be put around your balances? The window is very drafty and the draft comes from the vertical channels where the balances are installed. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We may have a solution, but it would depend on what kind of balance you have. For example, some manufacturers have been known to use our 26-139 over the Series 600 spiral balance to stop a draft.
A quick learner from Brooklyn says:
Hi, I have 600 series 26 inch orange balances . Can you please explain to me how this piece will stop the draft? Also, where exactly and how it can be installed?

Thank you very much for your advice.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I think I can help answer this. These parts used to be called "chimney blocks." Air often times goes through the jamb track and into the house, but the aligner blocks off the track and air flow. It's not flawless, but it's one of the few options available.

The 26-139 Aligner is placed in the track just above the bottom sash. To install it, you will need to remove the balance and put it through the hole on the aligner. Reinstall the balance with the aligner attached into the jamb track so that the flat side is to the back of the track and just above the bearing on the bottom of the balance tube.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)