Dual handle sliding door

A quick learner says:
I'm looking for dual handles for sliding door, lock not important. Existing screw holes 6 5/8 on center. Flush plate 7/8 wide x 7 1/4 long. Door is 1 1/8 thick. I need a handle on both inside and outside, not just a pull cup, a handle. White preferred, handles can be wood or whatever.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220620_090309575.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220620_090203923_HDR.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220620_090226614.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220620_085954345.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220620_085925315_HDR.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

Your handle looks like a match for our 82-002WK but we also sell it without a key lock, our 82-002, though it only comes in black. For a new interior pull, see the 88-002

The manufacturer doesn't make exterior pulls on these, unfortunately. It's just how these doors are designed. I apologize for any inconvenience.  

A home owner from FL says:

Just like a previous inquiry, I have a standard 6 5/8" sliding door handle assembly with just one handle and a cup on the outside. THIS SUCKS, especially with the gigantic heavy glass door that is very difficult to move with the little cup. Living in FL, I hate having to leave the door ajar when I'm outside just because I have trouble getting it open without a handle. 

WHY, WHY, WHY does no one manufacture a standard 6 5/8" double handle assembly to replace this crappy set up? The closest thing I can find is a 6 9/16" double handle set--do you know if this size would fit in the same space given the small fraction they're off?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I understand your frustration. It's really just not a good design. I think the original logic was that an exterior pull would get in the way of the screen door, and while that may be the case in some instances it's obviously not universal.

This is not my favorite door to work with. One thing you could try is drilling two holes above (or below, whatever's comfortable) the lockset and just mounting the pull directly to the door frame. It's not pretty and it's far from ideal but I've done it myself in a pinch and it works alright.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your patio glass door shouldn't feel heavy. These are designed to open at a touch. Before you install any handles to the door frame, you should clean and lubricate both your tracks and your rollers to ensure that the door is rolling properly. If too much debris is gunking up the works then it doesn't matter what kind of grip you have on the handle; it would inevitably just break from the force required to push the door open. Happens all the time, even with the best handles.

Hopefully these tips help! I'm sorry we can't offer you a better solution. It's just how these doors are designed.

How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
How to replace a sliding glass door handle set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.