Duel spring operators on both sides of lower window frames

A home owner from Vermont says:

I have a number of windows in our home that are now 20 years old and were made by a Canadian company that has long gone out of business. Each double hung window has double spring balances on each side. I have one window that has a broken spring that I have removed and photographed for you. I also have a smaller bathroom window that has single spring balances on both sides that have both broken and I am presently using a prop stick to hold it open. If you are able to help me with the big window i will take pictures of the smaller window and parts and we can work on that one next.

Thank You

Steven 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Lower saddle block installed view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Front view with broken spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Double spring housing installed view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Back view with broken spring.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Steven. I recommend our 15-191 pivot shoe and 1/2" thick Series 160 coil balance. I believe these are the parts you need to repair your window but look them over and let met know if you have any questions.

In reply to Tom's suggested replacement parts. Being a dual (2) spring arrangement, I was only able to identify a number 7 stamped on one of the two springs. Should I order (2) 7.5 pound springs and also using your website "tip" replace the ones on the other side of the frame with the same (2) 7.5# springs? I thought I would go with the heavy duty saddle shoes also. What do you suggest?
Tom on closer examination under better light I was able to read the following on the coil spring that I could not find anything on before. It read as follows.
.5-31
PAT 52320
Hope this helps with my previous inquiry.
Steven
Tom this is a second window that I will need new parts for. This is a much smaller window than my first project the sash weighs 12.6 Lbs. I need to replace the 1/2 inch wide 6 lb. coil balance spring on each side. I can probably reuse the pivot shoes and saddles.
Steven
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Parts for small window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named braket with broke coil.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Concerning the spring stamped with "5-31," that sounds like a 5 pound spring. The Series 160 springs all have strengths in pound-and-a-half increments. For examples, our S160-5 carries 5.5 pounds.

You may want to weigh that sash to be sure. Four S160-5 springs can carry 22 pounds. If that matches your sash weight then that's what you want.

Concerning the smaller balance, we will employ the same kind of math. Two 6.5 pound springs carry 13 pounds. That's a little strong compared to your 12.6 pound sash but I think it'll be fine. You probably won't notice the .4 pound difference. 

Tom thank you for the quick reply. I weighed the large sash and it came in at 27.8 lbs. So I think we probably would want two 7.5 lb. springs on each side for a supporting weight of 30 lbs. Unless you think otherwise. Once I have this coil spring stuff straightened out I will place my full order with Swisco.
Profile picture of Tom

That might be a little too strong. Instead, you may want to consider using one 6.5 and one 7.5 spring on each side. That adds up to 28 pounds of support which should be perfect.

Please let me know if you had any other questions, I'm happy to help as best as I can.

Tom thank you for all your help. That is neat that you can mix the coil weights to come up with the sash weight.
I am placing my order now.
Steven
Profile picture of Tom

I think it's neat, too! It's one of the reasons I like coil balances; they're very flexible.

Thanks for your order and please let me know if we can be of any help in the future.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.