Dyad crank operator

A handy person from Staten Island says:
I have a crank with the ?W? shape. I need left and right crank. But the extended arm that has the stainless steel clip is 5 3/4 inches long. If you can help me with this it would be deeply appreciated. You guys have always been there for me in the past. If you do not have the 6 ? would a 5? still allow the window to close ? Hope you can figure this one out also. Anxiously waiting your response. Renzo
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello again, Renzo. I think our 5" arm can still work. We weren't able to find a version of this operator with a 6" arm but you have a few options.

First, you could try to move the bracket to which the arm attaches over by 1" to make up the difference. Worst case scenario, you won't be able to open the window as far. This is the easiest possible work around.

If you don't want to drill a new hole to move the bracket over, though, then you can always swap the link arms. In other words, you'd use the old link arm on the new operator. This can be a bit involved, though. Let me know if you want to go this route and I'd be happy to walk you through the steps.

A quick learner says:
Ok thank you. I'll order the 5" operator.
Profile picture of Tom

Great, thank you! We appreciate your business, as always. Please let me know how it works out, or if you needed any help.

A quick learner says:
Hello Tom. I just ordered the 2 Dyad 5" operator. Want to clarify something. When you say I might have to move the bracket over an inch are you referring to the stud bracket that's attached to the sash? Do you think the sash will close completely if I leave everything where it belongs. Doesn't natter to me if tge sash doesn't open as much. I'm more concerned with it closing completely Thank you. Renzo
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Speaking from personal experience, I would first try out the new operator with the sash bracket in the existing location. If the window sash closes correctly then I believe you should be fine. I've seen it happen before, believe it or not.

Now if the sash does not close like it should, which is also possible, then you will need to move the bracket over to meet up the new operator arm like Tom said. You just have to move it over enough to match the difference. 

A quick learner says:
Ok thank you
A quick learner says:
Hello Dave. I tried using the operator in the standard position and it didn't work. I moved it over approx an 1-1/2". It closed a bit more but nowhere near enough to close. Then the hardware for the trackguides got in the way so I cannot use these operators. Please advise me as to how to return them and FYI fur future customers to keep in mind moving the stud bracket over isn't going to work. Thank you

Ah, I see. I'm sorry to hear that. The only other option you could try would be to drill out the new and old arm off their respective operators, the install the old link arm on the new operator with our 62-014 rivet. However, if you drill out the arm on the operator you purchased from us, I'm afraid you would not be able to return it for a refund.

It's ultimately up to you. If you would rather return it to us, we totally understand. You can see our return policy here.

A quick learner from Staten Island says:
Hello Tom. Thank you your input in trying to correct this dyad operator situation I'm in. After trying your suggestion and not achieving a satisfied result, I've decided to try the rivet attachment you suggested. I know the operator will no longer be returnable after modifying it but I would like to give it one more try. Can you get me the item number. I would need 2. Anxiously Waiting your reply Thank you Renzo mrscreenman Windows and More.

Sure, you would use our 62-014 rivet. You will need to hammer it on over a metal plate, which you can pick up at a local hardware store. Sorry we can't offer a better suggestion!

Profile picture of Tom

Sure, you would use our 62-014 rivet. You will need to hammer it on over a metal plate, which you can pick up at a local hardware store. Sorry we can't offer a better suggestion!

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.