EMCO - "Pado" door

A home owner from Rochester, NY says:
Received the replacements parts that I ordered and they almost fit - I know famous last words. In any case the shaft is just a smidge (1/4"?) too long so ther handle is loose. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Craig
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Front door handle 20200813_134846_resized (002).jp
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy season, Craig. I'm sorry to hear that our handle didn't fit on your door. It may be possible that you can't buy the handle by itself and will need an entirely new lock set, especially if this is an EMCO door.

Before I recommend anything further, can you show me the rest of the lock set? I'd like to see the handle base and the mortise, if possible. Thank you!

Does this help?
Thanks,
Craig
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200819_165159_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200819_165210_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200819_165903_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200819_165917_resized.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It does, thank you! Reviewing these photos, I think the best match we can offer is our 40-049 handle set. Now, this is what was designed to take the 40-101 handles you already bought, so it's not too different, but I think your old hardware was just different enough that you would need a complete replacement of the set entirely.

Hi Tom -
Took some measurements, the screw holes on my door - 6 3/4", Plate width is 5/8", with a 7" in height. Do you
have anything closer to those measurements?
Thanks,
Craig
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure that your original PADO handle is still available. I have used the 40-049 handle set in the past and it worked fine for my application. The face plate is wider and taller, as your measurements denote, but I don't think that would be a problem. The mounting holes for the face plate will also need to be adapted. I would suggest installing the internal mortise latch in the door along with the key cylinder first. Then see where the key cylinder, pull handles and face plate line up. Then you can see if you need to relocate the mounting holes. Would that work for you?

Dave - Because the handle is just a little to long (thick) for the door - do you think it's possible for me to cut it down with a hackshaw - then it wouldn't be too long (thick) for the door?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

The 40-101 handle set is used on the 40-049 lock set. This lock set is used on the same type of security storm door as you show in your photos, so I think it should have worked. did you try to loosen the screw in the handle and see if the spindle will go in further into the handle to match the length of yours? Also see if you can reuse your existing spindle. If you were to cut the spindle you bought, the set screw might not hold the handle to it. I worry it would render your hardware inoperable.

How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.