Encasement Window Crank

A home owner from Acton, ME says:
I have n Encasement window where the window would not close. Since it is getting cold in Maine I wanted to make sure I could close the window. A window expert at Home Depot told me that if I removed the crank assembly and disconnected the brace between window and frame that it would close. I did that and the window is now close but I did remove the crank assembly and a single brace and would now like to replace it.

Can you help me with the attached part(s)?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 96A44274-C00E-4A0B-BB07-D03FEF7D181E.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We sure can! What you have here is an older version of our 39-329. The only difference between ours and yours is that yours uses a "male" handle while ours uses a "female" handle, specifically the 39-232 (sold separately).

We don't sell that black piece I see on the left side of your photo, unfortunately, but I'm also not 100% sure what it is. Can you reuse that?

No, it cannot be reused as it split. I think must be the origin of the problem as the brace on the far side of the window was attached there but when it split the brace had no slot to keep it in place. It also has the slot where the handle attaches along with screw holes

Anything you can think to help fix?
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. We don't sell anything like what you show in your photo, but I'm also unclear as to what its function is. It looks like it would just be a shim that goes under the mounting base, but you say here that it attaches to the handle in some way, which has me a little confused.

Either way, we do not sell that black bracket. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

It was a combination shim and slots for the ends of the two hinges to connect to.
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. Could it have been part of the hinge assembly? Would it be possible to see a photo of what it looks like while installed? If it is a component of the hinge assembly, it would make sense why I'd never seen it before; hinges vary greatly in design from window to window and the individual components like this aren't usually available separately. Our usual solution is to just replace the entire hinge set, which works well in almost every case. That might be something we can do here, too.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.