Estimating a stamp option

A quick learner from Portland, OR says:
Hi!
I'm replacing channel balances for these PlyGem single hung vinyl windows:
W24"xH45"
W44"xH36"

The original balances measure 18 3/8" and 14 3/8" respectively (metal only, not including the plastic ends). Is it ok to order the 18" and 14" lengths which will be slightly shorter?

Also, the only stamps seem to indicate approximate channel length. '18 5' and 14 5' respectively. I will attach a picture. Unfortunately I'm far away and can't weigh them. Could you help me estimate which option to choose?
Thank you!
Angie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1359.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your correspondence. Before you order, we would like to see the complete balance showing the nylon ends to determine the series you need. Normally a spring weight 14 5 has a 15" metal channel length and an 18 5 has a 19" metal channel length. So it's important to check if you have custom balances. Many thanks.

Thanks for the response!
Here are more photos of the entire balances. The '14 5' stamped channel measures about 14 3/8 (metal only). The '18 2' stamped channel measures 18 5/16 (metal only). I made a mistake in my previous message, the stamp is 18 2 not 18 5.

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1832.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1833.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 182_bottom.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 182_side.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for this information. As I suspected, these are custom balances due to their unique length and configuration. Could you confirm the length of the balances one last time? For how we make up these balances, the balance stamped 14-5 would be 14-5/8" long, not including the attachments; while the balance stamped 18-2 would measure 18-5/8". If those are your measurements, then you should be good to go. My colleague Bob is sending you an email with custom links to order a pair of each of these balances. If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know here in the discussion thread. Many thanks.

Here are the confirmed metal channel lengths of our custom balances...

14 5 : 14-3/8"
18 2 : 18-5/16"

Is it a problem if the swisco replacement balances are slightly longer than the original ones? It sounds like they will be.

Thank you!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hmm, unfortunately this certainly could be an issue. I honestly have not seen balances made to these sizes. The manufacturer of these particular balances does not make them this way; they come only in X-5/8" increments. If you're sure these measurements are right, then the only conclusion we can come to is that someone altered the sizes of your balances, for reasons I can't begin to guess.  You can try to use our balances still if you want, but I'm afraid I can't predict any complications you may experience. I am sorry for this inconvenience. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.