Failed Balancer and other parts

A quick learner from Florida says:

I have reproduced part of my first message to your firm below.

It is very difficult for me to remove the window again without parts to make the repair (I am a senior). The pictures and the description will hopefully make identification possible. I am surprised to learn that you do not recognize Stanek windows. Stanek made their own line of windows and later he designed another major brand of storm resistant windows. As I indicated previously, I was shocked to see that the very heavy window was supported in a plastic lower mechanism. The questions I asked about your 795 series of balancers was not answered.

Do you recognize the mechanism in the pictures? Are the parts going to fit in the space without modification?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Michael

PREVIOUS MESSAGE sent to TIM C. at Swisco.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing concerning replacement parts for Stanek hurricane resistant windows. I just went through a bunch of questions from a lady at the remaining Stanek organization and they do not keep parts nor do they currently manufacture the type window I have. The product is nominally a 52 x 62 inch, tilt out, single-hung window. This removable lower window is very heavy. The firm informed me that I need your size 28D balancer.

The problem is that one of the balancers broke with damage to the window trim. One cable in the balancer is hanging out from the frame and a portion of the tilt-lock pivot broke (similar to your model shown below); I am uncertain which event caused the window failure.

The top hold-in mechanism and the damaged trim were repaired, but the window will not move up and down in the frame because the balancers are inoperative-the window put in place closed "in the frame."

The information I have is a bit confusing. I have looked at your site and the videos. Stanek (Ohio) told me to seek professional help, but I think I can manage if I do not run into horrendous complications.

Will your 795 series support system work with my window? The 795 series appears to have the T-lock built in. Does that obviate the use of the separate tilt-lock plastic part shown below? I was a bit surprised to see a window this heavy supported by a plastic piece. I can send pictures of my window, but hope you are already familiar with this series of Stanek storm resistant windows.

One additional difficulty, the window has bottom pivot bars that appears identical to your variety duplicated below. The bars are all right,but some of the small fastening screws (they are torx type) are either loose or sheared off. They do not remove easily due to the expansion of the plastic frame. Do you have replacement screws? Are"over size" versions available to make a better fit, or are there"inserts for the damaged holes? If you do not have this hardware can you suggest a supplier?

I hope this information identifies what I need to reply. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael 

THE PICTURES FROM YOUR SITE, DID NOT REPRODUCE BELOW.

Product Description

T-lock tilt pivot shoe, used in an inverted block and tackle balance system. Measures 1-1/4" width x 1/2" depth (actual .530).

This appears to be similar to what was used in my Stanek Window.

Product Description (bottom pivot metal piece)

Replacement component for the bottom corner of an operable sash. Pivot bars are used in single or double hung windows that allow the sash to be tilted in.

This appears to be identical to what was used in my Stanek Window.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2345 Window holder counterweight.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2346 Broken Window plastic piece.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2347 Window failure overview.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, Michael. I'll do my best to help you. From the size of the window you gave, I estimate the sash weight to be 55 pounds. That's why the Stanek Company used two balances on each side of the sash. 

The pivot shoe I see in your track is a match for our 15-216. The 28" tilt balance will be our S795-28, but we need to alter it in the warehouse to use a 15-224 inverted link attached to the bottom instead of the default T shaped shoe. That way it will clip into the 15-216 shoe that you have. Please note that the top cord will also have a screw on clip at the end. The spring weight will be also be 28D.

Does that sound good to you? If so, let me know exactly how many balances you need and we can get started on the custom ordering process. 

Now let's talk about removing the old hardware. You will need to tilt in and remove the sash; because of the weight, you will need two people. Then you would place a screw driver in the metal center cam, turn it towards you to release the pivot shoe, and bring it up to the balances. Be very careful! There will be a high amount of tension on the spring when you release the pivot shoe and if you don't keep a firm grip on it then it will shoot back into the window. Make sure to wear goggles and safety gloves just in case. 

With the pivot shoe up to the balance, unscrew one balance at a time and disconnect them from the shoe. Reverse the procedure to install the new balances. 

Regarding the broken screws that hold your pivot bars, being these are heavy duty vinyl windows for hurricanes, there should be a steel bar inside the sash rail. If the screws can be removed from the sash, you can drill a hole in the pivot bar and sash. Use a stainless screw of similar length and thread. You can get them at any local hardware store.

Once I have your confirmation on the custom balances I outlined and a quantity, we can get the ball rolling on that.

Paul,

I am sorry for the delay. Thank you for your reply.

It is not clear to me why I want a plastic "inverted link," when I already have the metal corner mount for the window that appears to fit into your "tilt-lock" mechanism, which is identical to what I have. It does not look like the plastic inverted link has an easy way to mount to the Stanek casing.

The window came out without issue, just raised and angled out. I think it weighs much more than 55 pounds. I regularly lift 40 pounds of salt, but with my wife lifting, we could barely lift the section. I would say the weigh "appears" to be between 80-120 pound range.

I watched your video about removing the old balancers and that appears straight forward. As an engineering type, I have to understand a project in my own way; that is my peculiarity. I am sure you know your craft, but I just do not picture how the parts go together. I am a fast learner, but this is beyond experience, and it is very hard to remove the window to "play" with it. Sorry.

There is no problem buying the parts from your firm (we plan to replace both sides), but I need to understand what I need. Additionally, after having the plastic part break, why do I want to insert another plastic part (the inverted link) into the system? The window is really very heavy.

Do you have a mechanical drawing showing how the different components go together with the original pivot shoe and the version with the inverted link?

Is there another more robust system that lends itself to installing by some reasonable modifications? I would prefer a window that can be lifted and stops at various distances up the track. Is such an alternate system available, preferably all metal?

Thanks for your help. Hope the virus is under control up your way.

Regards,

Mike
Florida
Profile picture of Paul

Hi, Mike. I'm sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with it. We don't have any technical drawings on how this hardware interacts, unfortunately, but I'll do my best to explain.

First, you start with the "base" balance. This is the metal channel that contains the spring and block and tackle system. This is what does all the heavy lifting and keeps your window up when raised.

The metal channel installs at the top of the side jamb track using either a screw or hook, as the case may be. In your case, this screw/hook is at the end of a cord that extends and retracts from the top of the metal channel. As you open and close the window, the metal channel itself physically slides up and down with it. The cord sort of "yo-yo's" it.

Then, all the way down at the bottom, you have the inverted link. This snaps into the bottom of the metal channel and allows it to connect to the pivot shoe, which allows the window to tilt in and also cradles the sash. You mentioned that you have a metal corner mount that fits into the pivot shoe, but I don't know what you meant by that. I'm looking at your photos and the bottom of your metal channel clearly uses an inverted link. Did you have something different used by another balance that I don't see in your photos?

As for using more robust parts, like, say, metal, I'm afraid that isn't possible. Most window manufacturers pretty much make a this kind of hardware one way and it's usually going to be plastic. They do this to save on manufacturing costs. As far as I know, the inverted link and pivot shoe we sell are only made this way. No stronger versions exist to my knowledge, and I don't know of a company who'd be willing to make metal alternatives.

But that should be okay. After all, your current hardware has been working well all this time, and likely has been for years before they started failing. As long as the balance springs are functional, then the weight of the sash is properly compensated for and there is no undue strain on the plastic parts. It's only when the springs start to fail, from age or some other issue, that the plastic parts begin to suffer the direct weight of the sash and break. Metal parts wouldn't really be much of a benefit here since the balance would need to be replaced anyway. It's not like they'd give it extra years of life. When the spring fails, the spring fails.

Hopefully that clarifies how this hardware works. I would understand if you weren't interested in trying our hardware out, but I have no reason to think our parts won't work for you. If you wanted to pursue an order, you know where to find us.

Okay Paul, thanks for your reply!

The part I referred to was the side/bottom support similar to your 26-407 corner pivot bar that I asked about earlier. (Hardware, etc.)

In checking, I see there is another piece of plastic in my photo that is attached to the pivot assembly. (Unfortunately, I did not study that part of the mechanism because I assumed it was part of the balancer structure.) The problem is that I have trouble visualizing how this fits together, because, after review of your earlier message, I find that the balancers have to be modified. That may be part of my conceptual problem, since the inverted link does not appear to fit the system using the balancer as shown in the picture on your site. As I understand the inverted link is the part that matches to the pivot shoe. Another conceptual problem is how two (2) inverted links fit the space and mate to the two (2) balancers per side.

As I understand, I need four (4) modified balancers as previously described, four (4) inverted links, and two tilt lock pivot shoes to rebuilt the window support. That is what I wish to do, and if I have a problem with how they fit together when I have them here, I can call or e-mail if there is difficulty with the fit. Looking at a pictures and seeing the actual parts is quite different.

Will I need the winder tool to adjust the spring tension or will it be preset fairly high for my heavy window?

Please send me an invoice and call with the cost for all the things you want to sell me. If you send the message and call, I can give you the card number to complete the order.

Thanks for your help Paul. Sorry, I should have called myself "Blockhead."

Regards,

Mike

Profile picture of Paul

Don't worry, you're not a blockhead. You have a very, very specific and uncommon balance system. There's a reason why this has to be custom made, trust me. They just don't make windows this heavy that often, so this is a special case and we have to take special care with it. These are all good questions.

The video below will hopefully clarify how we install the 15-224 inverted link to the S795-28 balance. The shoe shown in this video is obviously different, but the principle is the same.

The 15-216 pivot shoe has enough space for two balances to plug into it on either side, one at a time. This isn't exactly the easiest thing to do with limited space, I won't lie to you, but it is possible.

And that really is the biggest issue I think you'll face when trying to put these balances in: trying to maneuver them in place one at a time when you don't have a lot of room to do so. One thing I should have mentioned at the onset of this is that there is a chance the installers put your balances into the jamb liner first, then installed the jamb liner into the window. That's a bit like cheating, but it's a luxury you can afford when you're installing the window fresh.

It is not, unfortunately, a luxury you will be able to enjoy. You will have to try your best to squeeze these balances in the window track as best as you can.

I will email you an order link and price quote right now for 4 balances according to these specifications. This will be an S795-28 with a 28D stamp option, as well as a 15-224 inverted link attached to the bottom. This balance also uses a screw to install to the window track at the top. Please tell me if yours does not use a screw.

No charging tool is necessary for channel balances. These come pre-tensioned and it is not advisable that customers attempt to tension the spring under any circumstances. You don't want it to accidentally disconnect and fly out, it could take an eye out.

Thanks for the information Paul. I'm frustrated about several things that need attention and the window was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back!"

I looked at the balancers that I am sure you know are the flat variety, and there is a holding screw at the top of the structure. I've been thinking about how I am going to do the job, because I will be vastly slower than a window technician who has done this repair a few hundred times.

Good that the inverted link is on the balancers, so one less item to order. I will use the link you sent in the other e-mail and add two new pivot shoes. That seems to be all that I need other than a bit of luck with the repair.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how my "unusual" application turns out.

Regards and hope you are free from the virus where you are,

Mike
Florida
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks, Mike! I wish you luck, and we're always here to help as best as we can. 

We're holding up okay, just hoping this all ends soon. Thank you for asking, and we also hope you're doing well.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.