Fenestra 1938 casement windows

A quick learner says:
Hello,

I am trying to find replacement crank operators for 1938 casement windows. My cranks mount straight down into the window frame. The arm is 9-1/2 inches. They are labeled Fenestra/Detroit.
Customer image of their crank operator for their Fenestra casement window.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
I am working on bringing in a replacement for you to check out, I will post again as soon as it is available.
A quick learner says:
Thank you very, very much for you help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The new Fenestra operator is now available for purchase, see part number 39-344. The 39-344 looks very close to your old Fenestra operator. Let me know if you need any other additional measurements of the 39-344 to make sure it will work as a replacement for your old Fenestra crank operator.
A handy person from Virginia says:
How do I disconnect the operator from the window.
I have Finestra windows, and I want to install a window A/C unit. If I can just disconnect the operator I can swing the window wide open and install the A/C unit.
Thanks!
Alex
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
For this operator, you should first look under the window sash. There should be a track into which the casement arm bearing slides. Looking at the track, see if there is a cut out or notch somewhere. Rotate the operator until the arm bearing lines up with the cut out. Then, lining up the end bearing with cut out you should be able to press down on the arm and release it from the track. The final step is simply unscrewing the casement body from the window sill.
I examined the track. There is no cutout or notch. (This window may date from the 1920's)
I could drill out the rivet that holds the arm to the window...
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Alex
No, I would not drill out the end bearing on the arm. If you no not have that cut out, check to see if the track is held to the window sash with screws. That way you can unscrew track and not damage anything by drilling.
I inspected the track, and it looks like there are two rivets,one at each end, holding the track on to the window frame. The bottom ends of the (?) rivets, which are visible, are flat. The top ends are buried in the caulking which holds in the window panes.
My kingdom for a screw (or two)!
Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Alex
Before drilling out the rivets, try removing the operator from the window sill. Then, see if you can slide the arm one way or another. I can't believe Fenestra would want you to drill out the track to replace the operator, so I think it's worth playing around with a bit more.
A friend from Los Angeles, CA says:
Interesting to see the interest in Fenestra steel windows. My father worked at Fenestra as a Vice President of sales in the late 1950's to early 1960's while it was in Detroit Mich. Fenestra was sold to a firm in Waukesha Wisconsin, then sold again in the mid 60's to Continental Conveyor in Windfield Alabama. He used to tell stories about traveling the U.S.A to look into problems at large installations and how aluminum windows devastated the steel window industry.
A quick learner from Phoenix, Az says:
Re: Disconnect operator for window AC installation.

Sorry this is 9 years late, but I had same problem and solved it. Hope it helps others trying to install AC.

My window had hinges on RIGHT side as seen from inside.

1st, open window about 3/4 way, then remove screws holding operator to window frame. (just 2 screws on mine)

Then pull operator towards you, at same time pulling operator and casement arm to the left, so the arm ends up perpendicular to window frame. As you do this, the casement arm bearing will slide in the track a bit. When you've pulled it perpendicular to frame, pull the operator and arm until window fully closes. Then with small hammer, tap on left side of arm where it meets window, and the arm bearing will slide to the RIGHT. Keep tapping and sliding right, until bearing/channel end of arm falls free. Push the window open, and remove operator and arm completely.

Hope this helps someone.
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.