Fixing a knife edge latch

A handy person from Aurora, IL says:
The kniofe edge latch on my screen on my pella windows has pulled out and does not rotate properly. I am looking to see how to get them back in so it will rotate. Attached are two pics - one with the latch well in place and functional and the other where it is popping out and wont go back.
User submitted photos of a knife latch.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at the cut-out for the latch on the side of the insert frame. It could be that the frame is a little bent at the cut out and that is interfering with the knife edge not operating properly.
A quick learner from Aurora,IL says:
Thanks for the quick response Dave. The issue is that even after I pull the screen of the Window, the latch wont move. It feels like when it was last opened it moved into the screen's frame. I am not aure how to get it to poke out of the screen frame again
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Try to grab the end of the clip with a set of "long nose" pliers or a needle nose type. When you pull it out of the frame, be careful not to damage the screen frame.
A handy person from Aurora, IL says:
Thanks Dave. I looked into the frame and found that the metal of the frame cut to make the slot was still hanging off the slot and was preventing the latch from going back in once it was out... By cleaning up that fragment the latch now is back moving in and out as it used to. It feels a bit loose because the metal fragment was kind of acting like a spring. Overall this is still better and the latch is still crisply locking.
How to remove screen knife latches
How to remove screen knife latches
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.