Flat spline install

A home owner from NJ says:
I am having difficulty getting the rigid flat spline to hold once I roll. I get it to work without the screen. I laid the spline flat as in your video. I rolled on the outside of the channel. Any tips?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16516956327978641832916081310272.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16516957021544671293545009174082.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16516957763651749832535974461235.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Believe me, I know that installing this flat type of spline can be tricky. A long time ago when I used to repair windows and screens, I had no end of trouble with the old flat spline that came with EMCO/Forever doors. Let me ask you: are you trying to reuse that original spline, or an after-market version?

You're going to have a hard time in both cases, to tell the truth. I actually recommend using out 55-109. We had this made to our specifications just for this kind of situation since none of the flat spline I found seemed to work without making me want to pull my hair out. I find it to be much easier to work with and I think it will save you a big headache in the long run.

A home owner from NJ says:
Thanks for the reply. I actually went to a hardward store located in Warren NJ who are "experts" in repairs. I wanted to save $ by trying this myself, so the cut their own new replacement spline for me. I will consider purchasing the 55-109 spline as you suggested, otherwise I'll be punting for the $80 repair cost.
How to rescreen a Forever Storm Door insert
How to rescreen a Forever Storm Door insert
VIDEO
WATCH >
Close-up of 55-109 Screen Spline Install
Close-up of 55-109 Screen Spline Install
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Re-screen an Andersen Window Screen [1080p]
How to Re-screen an Andersen Window Screen [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.