Front door

A handy person from Ambler, PA says:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to fix an issue with my front door. There are gaps all around it that let in cold air in winter and hot in summer. It's solid wood. There doesn't appear to be any sort of weather stripping around it, but there are metal strips nailed around the frame. I've included pictures of them. They appear to be old, and not in great condition. Can you tell me what I should put around the door to make it weather-tight?

Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220630_113422.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220630_113427.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220630_113454.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I can see in your photos that you have the older style brass metal weather stripping, which was popular back in the day. Not so much anymore, though. 

Before you try to replace it, try bending it up so that it rubs against the door again. Sometimes it's as simple as that. 

If that doesn't do the trick, then consider our 58-180 stick-on foam seal. You would install on the door stop. Your original isn't made anymore but I find the 58-180 to be a flexible alternative for older doors like this. Just make sure that the door stop is clean so that it will stick properly. I suggest using alcohol to clean the stop before installing.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.