Gorell Window Balance

A contractor from Wisconsin says:
I have a 32 x 54 Gorell window I need the constant force balance system for - for one side only. It looks to be a single coil with the standard house / shoe for it and the metal clip to secure and hang the balance by. The clip seems to be good, but I need the housing (shoe) and the coil to work for a window size listed above. Any idea what size coil and housing / shoe I would need, so I can order? Thanks for your help - it is appreciated.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4527.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4528.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for writing in. You will need our 15-087 coil housing pivot, which works with the Series 180 coil spring. There should be a stamp or imprint on your original spring that will tell you which weight option to select. Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Thanks - I don't seem to see a marking on the coil for the size I need. Is there any way you are able to determine the strength needed for the coil by the window size - it is just double pane glass.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

What you can do is weigh your window sash. You will then want to take that number and divide it by the number of coil springs per window. For instance, if you have a 10 pound window and 2 coil springs, then each one will be 5 pounds. Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Hey, this is the stamping on the part : PAT5 354,548

Does that identify it? If so I'd like to order 2.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That patent number doesn't tell us anything, unfortunately. I recommend reviewing the suggestions Julia made in her prior posts and applying that to your hardware. Everything she went over is exactly the right process for identifying this type of hardware.

Thanks Tom, I thought that I was following that based on the the imprinted number as Julia mentioned. I see that she did specifically say "spring", should I be looking for a number on the spring itself as opposed to the housing? I assume that is correct, but please confirm.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, that is correct. The number will be printed on the band of the spring.

looks like the number on the band is 7 L F
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Thank you. That would be the S180-7. These carry 7 pounds each, so if you only have one spring on each side of the sash, then the sash ought to weigh 14 pounds.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.