Gorell Window Help

A home owner from virgina says:
I have Gorell double hung 5305 windows and will be buying your part number 58-182 .187 t-slot weatherseal for all 42 windows. I removed a small window to check the size and now can't get it back in. Any suggestions, hints or videos? I am in my 70's and female. Thanks Judy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, the "T" shaped base of the 58-182 should just slide into the channel from the opening at the edges. If that channel is sealed, which is the case on some windows, then you have to make an opening yourself. The video below will show you how this can be done.

Actually I was was referring to the window itself not the weatherseal. I couldn't get the window back in the opening. The springs just kept springing back. A friend came and managed to do it but struggled for 30 mins and he is young and very handy. Have 42 windows to do.....
Profile picture of Tom

Oh gosh, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I see what you mean now.

The method of putting a sash back in the window varies depending on the kind of balances you have. It sounds like you might have tilt windows, but that is just a guess; usually when you tilt a window into the house for removal, you engage parts known as "pivot lock shoes." These lock in place and keep the springs from shooting up like you describe.

If your springs are shooting up anyway then it sounds like the pivot shoes aren't functioning properly, or maybe just didn't engage in the first place. It's also possible you have a totally different system altogether, I admit that this is just an educated guess.

I can tell you exactly what you need to do to make your life easier, but I will require photos of the springs in question and whatever hardware connects to them. 

Hi didn't think to take a photo when this was happening. They are Gorell 5300 tilt windows (2000) and I found these links on your website.
https://www.swisco.com/Pivot-Lock-Coil-Housing/pd/Tilt-Window-Replacement-Pivot-Lock-Shoes/15-087 this looks like I remember
https://www.swisco.com/Pivot-Bar-3-inch/pd/Tilt-Window-Replacement-Sash-Pivot-Bars/26-063 I think this was the one
Profile picture of Tom

Aha, that's all I need to know. So, replacing sashes with this kind of pivot shoe can be pretty frustrating since the cams that take the pivot shoe are closed. That doesn't allow you to simply lift the pivot bars up and out of place.

There is a way to do this more easily, but it takes some finesses. What you have to do is twist the sash as you tilt it in, which results in one pivot shoe being higher in the track than its partner on the opposite side. That angle allows the pivot bars to slip right out of the cam without much fuss, and then right back in when you're ready to put the balances back in place.

I know that may be hard to visualize. If you watch the video below, you can see my old pal Mike do this on the sample sash we use during the tutorial. The spring hardware used on this window is a little different but the method of removing the sash (and putting it back in) is exactly the same as on your window.

How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.