Great Lakes window pivot bar is breaking

A quick learner from Illinois says:

I have encountered a problem with the pivot bars on my Great Lakes Windows breaking. I have gone through quite a few of these. My windows are old but even on widows I only tilt in a few times a year they are breaking. I am ordering part number 8254 26-377 from you but the problem lies with the rivets. I've looked at every hardware, Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster Carr etc., to no avail. The river is almost an inch on both sides. I found a couple and one wasn't strong enough the other was to heavy and wouldn't get through the hole. Really it's been a nightmare.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 84600EF0-A326-47CD-98CF-46C2DF768DF0.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I agree that our 26-377 pivot bar is a good match, but the pop rivets are a hassle. Despite all my years working in this industry, the fact that some manufacturers use these to install their pivot bars still baffles me. You've already seen why they're such a pain to deal with. I guess they'd rather you replace the whole window than just one little part, so they don't want to make it easy for you.

Fortunately, i want to make it a lot easier for you. I personally recommend opting for a screw, instead. The 33-073 truss head screw should work, though I admittedly don't know if it will be long enough for your sash. If you don't think it's long enough you can always go to a local hardware store and ask for a #8 trus head screw in the appropriate length.

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Thank you, I'll give it a go. I must say that Great Lakes has been less than helpful.
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.