Guardian glass door replacement

A quick learner from Michigan says:
Hi, I need to replace my entire glass door wall handle and lock. I know it's Guardian but I cannot find a make or model number. Well I actually just need the Mortise lock. How do I know which one to get?
Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I'm afraid it's nearly impossible for me to say what mortise lock you need without seeing a picture of the original. Show us a picture of your old mortise lock, and we'll see what we can recommend. 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I'm not laughing at all--that's actually a very helpful clue! This happens all the time to people trying to remove or replace our 82-218 Mortise Lock. Because of it's design it's particularly at risk to falling into the door during installation. Plus, I see you were looking at our 82-035 Handle Set; this would certainly be compatible with the 82-218, so I suspect this is what you had. Just take a look and see what you think. Also see the video below for removal and replacement details; keeping a set of pliers on the hook of the mortise is a good way to ensure it doesn't fall during installation.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for replying but unfortunately I don't have the old mortise lock. When I was unscrewing it, it fell inside the doorwall -- the hallow part -- and of course there is no way I can retrieve it. I hope you're not laughing too hard. : )
Hi, I ordered Mortise Lock, Round Face, 3-11/16"
Item# 82-218 but it is too long. The actual round opening is 3". I've enclosed a photo of the opening since the original lock fell in between my door. Everything else about the mortise lock I ordered looked just like the old one. Do you have one that is a bit smaller?
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named door latch missing.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We get this question a lot. I'm almost positive that the 82-218 is what you want. They're designed to have a tight fit. You just have to put it in at a sort of angle, just like how we show in the video.

There is no better match for your door. They never made this mortise with such subtle differences in length.

It works! I got it in! Thank you so much!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That's great news! I'm happy to help, of course. if you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.