Handle change - Simonton Screen Doors

A contractor from North Carolina says:
During a replacement of the existing Simonton sliding screen doors, we noticed a significant change in the handle and locking mechanism. The old one - see pics - was easy for children and those with limited dexterity to open and close the door. The new design of door is more slender and the handles are now recessed flush inside the frame. It's difficult to open and close as well as putting pressure on the screen with your hand. Is there a retrofit for this door, or replacement handles that are no more than 9/16" deep (at the "L") to pass between the doors? The holes are 5" O.C. for the new latch.
User submitted photo of their latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The closest match we have is our 83-034, though the hole spacing is 3-1/2". Could you still use this as a replacement? The handle sticks up, allowing you to grip it.
Tom, That's a closer match to the old style - the 11/16" depth may be too deep. We are thinking about the retrofit to place something over/under the current screws, so the 5" O.C. becomes important. Maybe it's time to get out the 3D printer :-) One of the great things about Swisco is the detail in the product images - dimensions and all. Makes it easy to find things and judge whether they will work. Thanks, P. p.s. With latches/levers prevailing in door hardware, you have to wonder why they chose to go flush.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hello, hopefully I can help, as well. We also carry another handle that was used by Care Free. It looks closer to your latch, but from what I remember the metal locking part was not as long as the original lock. See our 84-223. We also carry a surface mounted universal type patio screen door lock. Not sure if it will work on your door, it may be worth considering. That would be our 83-006.
Dave, Thanks for jumping in on this one. I think I will go with the 84-223. It's close enough to the old design that I may be able to come up with something with a slight mod of your parts.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.