Handle pair, 40-101

A home owner from Versailles says:
I am having trouble with the lock set from a storm door that was installed about 15 years ago because it won't stay latched. It is a combination of problems, with the spring that pushes out the latch seeming to have weakened over time and there being no apparent way to replace that spring. Now, because of the effect of gravity from the heavy handles with the original lock set, the latch does not want to protrude out as far as it should. The 40-101 handles seem like they would be a smaller, lighter replacement handle that would help the situation, and all of the dimensions match up, except the 11/16" diameter. That diameter on my handle appears to be about 1/2", and that is about what it looks like in the picture for the 40-101. Any chance that dimension 11/16" dimension is wrong?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I double checked the diameter and it does appear that 11/16" is correct. It also comes with nylon washers, which are 5/8" in diameter. If you are having trouble with the spring in the lock then it might be worn and in need of replacement. If you can, please send us some photos of your existing handle along with dimensions for us to review.
A quick learner from Versailles says:
The faceplate length is 7.75" coverall. The outer holes screwing the faceplate to the door are 6.25 on centers. The inner holes for securing lockset to faceplate are 5.125 on centers. The lockset dimensions are 5.75 x 1.6875 x 0.5. I would like to replace the spring but don't know the right spring, or how to do it. I can't find any manufacturers info. The lockset is about 15 years old.
User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks! See the 40-194 mortise lock, this appears to be our best match.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.