Hard to slide window

A home owner from USA says:
my sliding windows are really hard to open. I have cleaned everything out but may just need new wheels. The ones in place currently are identical to your 87-208nd. Right now there are only 2 per window, is it ok to install 4 per window? More wheels = easier to move the window? What are your thoughts?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience during this busy season. I don't think adding more rollers would necessarily make the window roll more easily. It's entirely possible your old wheels were just worn down. Try replacing just the two you have now and see if that works out.

Hi Tom,

Replacing did not work. Maybe they installed the wrong wheels to begin with? Are there wheels specifically designed for heavy windows?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

If the 87-208 is identical for your original roller assemblies, then I think that's what you should stick with. That said, it's possible that whoever installed them may have gotten a little creative with it. It's possible that they altered the roller in some way to allow it to carry a heavier window. That's hard to predict, though.

Do you have a similar window in the house? That way you can see if the 87-208 is still a match across the board. 

Adding an extra set won't hurt to see if that helps in the sliding sash. Like Tom said, it may not make a difference, but if you have no other options it could be worth trying. 

You could also try using something like our 75-077 track lubricant or something similar to help in the operation of the sash.

Thanks Paul,

I installed the new ones and it is still very hard to move.

Are there other wheels that are the same width? I get the sense that I could have something taller if needed when I remove the window.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble. We have wheels with a greater diameter, but the problem is if they're too tall then the axle won't install in the slot where they need to go. There's not really that much clearance in the housing for a larger wheel. 

I'm not sure if the rollers are the problem at this point. There could be damage to the window track itself, or an issue with the frame being warped in such a way that you have too much friction. There could be a ton of other explanations, honestly. You may want to have a professional come out and look at your windows.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.