Hardware type

A home owner from California says:
Hi there!
I'm trying to figure out what this hardware is called. I'm assuming it's some type of crank operating system because there's a hole on the side for what looks like a crank.. pin? something. I don't know the name of the object where you place the crank to turn the gear.

I have no idea where to find this hardware as I can't find photos of anything that is similar to it. The previous homeowner painted over everything so I cannot find any labels or markings. I'm still working on cutting through the paint just so I can even open a window.

Any suggestions or advice will be helpful!!
Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E1442992-1789-48AD-9715-F9A30A2CB145.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We do not carry an exact match for your part but it reminds me of the 39-268 non-handed wood window operator. Take a look and compare the dimensions shown on our product page to your assembly. Thanks for posting! 

Alternate image of 39-268
Alternate image of 39-268

Alternate view of 39-268
Alternate view of 39-268

Dimensions for the 39-268 handle
Dimensions for the 39-268 handle

A home owner from Sarasota FL says:

Our 1924 condominium has exactly that same casement window hardware as shown in the photo from the California home owner. From research online, I found a 1938 catalog by the Casement Window Company of Chicago, IL -- which shows that hardware as being their Win-Dor Series 30 Operator. That manufacturer got started in 1906 and went out of business in 1957. Anyway, I agree that the SWISCO 39-268 could very well be the most appropriate modern substitute, especially for a historic or vintage building trying to maintain as much authenticity as possible. 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Win-Dor Series 30 from 1938 catalog.png
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. We'll pass this information on to other customers with this old-style casement hardware. 

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 39-268 wood window crank operator
How to install the 39-268 wood window crank operator
GUIDE
READ >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.