Heavy Thermal 1 Window-unsure about spiral balances.

A home owner from Cloquet, MN says:

Hello! Your website is the only place I found any info about my Thermal 1 window. It is 60"H x 41"W, double hung.

The label in the photo reads:

-Number on left edge:1713

-"Manufacturer stipulates conformity to ANSI/AAMA 302.9"

-Code: AMA 1, Series: 600, Spec: DH-A3-HP(60), MST: 56100

-"Thermal Tested AAMA 1504-83, U CLASS 1 CRF CLASS 1(Max. U = 0.69) (Min. CRF = 35)"

The window is very heavy and the spiral balances don't seem to be tuned/installed right. It doesn't hold open at all falls shut in a flash. We haven't installed the frame yet, just had to see if it fit and if we could make it more functional before committing to it.

Also, I didn't receive the custodial key with purchase and didn't know if it was important to have one or not.

Basically, I'm looking for advice on how to make the window less heavy to open and less hazardous.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 77E85E92-552A-47A4-83DA-C1DC22132BD1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8470D8CE-F417-4C19-A992-D704C4340EF2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 245E3D16-6C0B-4212-A175-6FA9BA315090.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FAD2C3BF-A293-47DA-A868-9FAA81FF4B78.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BDCB9F6B-6E41-4CD5-A893-1354FE1F9CC6.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It definitely sounds like your balances are too weak to support your sash. Your first step before you do anything else is to make sure it's been charged properly. Spiral balances are designed to be wound up before installation to ensure that the spring has enough tension.

You can do this by using a charging tool like our 75-006 (for tilt windows) or 75-005 (for non-tilt windows). You hook this tool to the tip of the spiral rod, disconnect it from where it clips in, give it two or three turns, then finally clip it back into place. You don't want to give it more than that or else you risk damaging the spring, but you should feel tension start to build right away. If you don't then you have bigger problems.

Make sure to have a friend hold up the window when you do this. You only have two hands and the last thing you want is for the window to fall on your head while you're juggling the tool and the sash. Trust me, I learned that the hard way.

If that fails, let me know and we can look into other options. I'll definitely have more homework for you but we can cross that bridge when we get there. I'm honestly hoping that the installers just forgot to charge the balance before it was installed and this will be an easy fix.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.