Help ID parts for: CertainTeed double hung bathroom window

A quick learner from Seattle says:

Hi,

I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to tilt out the sash to get to the pivot shoe. I believe the spring snapped, and the spring that remains attached to the pivot shoe has so much tension on it, that I can't pry it up enough to angle out the sash. So, I'm stuck trying to figure out how to ID the pivot shoe and spring part numbers. Removing the spring cover and balance drum was easy, but I feel like I'm going to break the pivot bars if I'm not careful.

The spring is 3/4' wide.

Help!

Thank you!

Cathy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4360.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Cathy. If you're having trouble removing the shoe in position for removal then it may be jammed in the track. This can be real difficult to fix, especially if the sash is still installed. My first recommendation is to lubricate it with oil and see if that helps get it to move again. Hopefully it's just a little hung up and will slide with just a little convincing.

If that doesn't end up working then I think you should consider having a local professional come out and take a look at it for you. I'm less concerned about breaking the pivot bars, which can be replaced, than I am about accidentally cracking the vinyl. That is not the kind of damage you want so I think it's best to play it safe.

As for replacement parts, I can at least help you with that. What you have here is an older version of our 15-192 pivot shoe, which is used with the Series 170 coil spring, 15-156 cover, and 15-157 bushing. Note that the cover and bushing can likely be replaced as long as they're in good condition. The same goes for the shoe, too, assuming you can get it out.

One important detail to note is that some past customers have told me that the modern 15-192 is not the best replacement for the old shoe. The reason they gave was the bumps you see on the face of our 15-192; those apparently prevent it from installing comfortably in the track. In all cases, shaving or sanding those bumps down fixed the problem. 

Note that any product altered in that way cannot be returned for a refund. Just something to keep in mind if you find yourself in that situation. Hopefully all you need is the spring so you don't have to worry about any of that.

A quick learner from Seattle says:
Thank you for all that information, it was very helpful. A little oil and I was able to tilt the sash out and remove the pivot shoe. The shoe seems to be in good shape, but I may just buy the 15-192 as a back up. Thanks for the tip on shaving down those bumps to make it work. The spring was stamped 336 and aligns, as you said, with the coil spring Series 170. So, I'll order the parts and hopefully it'll all go back together smoothly.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That's great! I'm glad oil did the trick, that will save you a pretty big headache.

Please let me know if we can be of any assistance in the future. We're always here to help.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.