Help replacing Coil Balance System

A professional from Wells, ME says:
Hello! We are looking for replacement parts for two vintage double hung windows that are not operating properly (bottom sash does not stay up). Would you be able to help us determine coils and other parts needed to complete the repair? Thank you for your help!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. See our 15-192 Pivot Shoe. Just compare the dimensions with your old part to see if they match. This shoe is compatible with our Series 170 & Series 171 Coil Springs. If you have two springs per side, they stack over the shoe. The Series 170 spring sits on the bottom; while the Series 171 sits on top. Let us know if you have any questions. 

A professional from Wells, ME says:
Wow - thank you for your help! The springs are on the bottom so we know we need 171 Coil Springs.
Dimensions of the entire unit (including frame) is 39.5" x 59.5" - which of the 171 series would work best? These are for old Hancock Classics.
I appreciate your help!!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Ah, let me clarify. If you have only one coil spring on each side of your window, then you just need the Series 170. If you have a second coil spring stacked 'on top' of the first on each side, then you need the Series 171 in addition to the Series 170. The reason for this is that the Series 171 has a longer 'tongue' that allows it to connect to the pivot shoe while sitting atop the Series 170 spring. I hope this makes sense. 

Each coil spring is meant to support a specific weight. So how do you know which of the Series 170 (and possibly Series 171) that you need to order? If there are no stamped numbers on your old springs, then the only way to do this is to get the weight of your window sash. That precise weight will then let you calculate the right combination of coil springs your window needs for support.

Let me give an example. Let's say your window sash weighs 18 lbs. Our S170-409 Coil Spring supports 9 lbs of weight. You would install an S170-409 on either side of your window sash, for a total of 18 lbs of support, or equal to the weight of your window sash. 

Or, let's say your window weighed 28 lbs. You could install an S170-409 on either side, plus a S171-405 on either side, so that each side of your sash supported 16 lbs. This would equal the total window sash weight of 28 lbs.

Does this make sense? If you are uncertain how to proceed, just give us the weight of your window sash, and we'll try and work it out for you. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.