Help funding replacement parts for 1940s steel casement windows

A home owner from North Carolina says:
Hi, I have 2 sets of steel casement windows that I am restoring. The problem is that the casement track tracks (10.5 inch by 3/4 inch) are rusted and in need of repair, and the crank arms and entire crank systems are missing. Are there any old or new parts that could be used here? Happy to send additional photos if that would help! Thank you!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_102336.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_102406.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_102412.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_102557.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_102622.jpg
These 2 photos are from other windows in the home with a similar looking system, but different track length. Including them to give a sense of what i believe the arm originally looked like. And then I'm also including a picture of the overall window that I am restoring.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_103020.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230222_103134.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230219_130155.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This hardware is very, very old. The parts you need probably haven't been made for almost a century. We do carry some older window operators that may be compatible, but it's important to understand that it will likely take some handiwork to get these parts to fit, and even then there is no guarantee. When it comes to windows this old there will never be a perfect fit.

For now by top suggestions are the 39-001 and 39-002 operators along with the 39-504 track. I have used these on older aluminum windows, though never steel. The 39-504 is longer than the track you need but you could cut it down in a pinch.

Look these products over and see what you think.

Dimensions for 39-001
Dimensions for 39-001

Alternate image for 39-504
Alternate image for 39-504

Alternate view of 39-504
Alternate view of 39-504

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will give it a try and understand that some handiwork will be required. I really like the windows, so am hoping it'll work!
Profile picture of Tom

I'll cross my fingers for you! Best of luck on your project, and thanks again for reaching out.

If you wanted peace of mind, you can see our return policy here.

Hello again!

I think the new hardware is going to work wonderfully! The only issue I see is that the screw holes are not quite aligned. Do you have any advice as to whether I should add a new screw hole into the steel window or the crank assembly? And also how best to do that?

Many thanks again for sharing your expertise. I'm excited to be see these old windows come back to life!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

We do carry other other operators for steel windows with different hole centers. Before you do any drilling, check a few of these alternatives to see if one has the same hole pattern as your original. There should hopefully be a better alternative for this operator. See our 39-353 and 39-358, specifically.

Alternate view of 39-358
Alternate view of 39-358

Alternate image for 39-353
Alternate image for 39-353

At the end of the day, though, I feel like I should be honest with you: these windows are very, very difficult to work with. I've serviced countless in my time and half the time I found it easier to just tear them out and replace with a vinyl alternative.

I'm not saying that's what you have to do here, but you should brace yourself for a big project. The most helpful piece of advice I can give is to keep a bottle of ibuprofen in your toolbox. It will be a headache.

Hello,
Thank you so much againn for your help in identifying the wibdow hardware. These cranks work perfectly, and I think my window is looking great!

I'm now on the hunt for the little brackets I can screw into the frame tonaupport screens. Would you be able to point me to those?

Many thanks again!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230531_200450.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! That's great news, I'm glad to hear our operators worked for you. As for these screen clips, though, I'm not sure if we have them. It's admittedly hard to make out from this photo. Would it be possible to get a closer picture of the part itself?

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.