Help in removal of spiral balances

A quick learner from Cincinnati OH says:
Have old Amcor windows throughout house. One sash had seal compromised so I removed it. While doing it one spiral balance (on right side - the white shoe) came out of pivot shoe. Shoe is covered with plate that states "do not remove"... Shoe and as well as the balances probably should be replace. Do I just remove the plate and take out the pivot shoe - not sure how it is in the track or how it is removed. The plate will have to be removed to take out the spiral balance on the right that did not "break loose". Correct ...

Removal and measuring the spiral balances seem pretty straight forward - after seeing your videos. THANKS. What removal tool do I need to unwind the balances on this window?

Will try and attach four photos that will better explain!!!

Thanks, Alex
User submitted photos of a spiral window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The pivot shoe looks like our 15-048 with a Tamp-R-Lok like our 26-028 fit over top of it. Does this hardware look good to you? The Tamp-R-Lok is a safety device that prevents the balance from unhooking from the shoe and prevents the bottom cam from turning to release the pivot bar.

To remove the Tamp-R-Lok, place a small flat tip screw driver between it and cam and press down. That will force the bottom of the lock to become disengaged. Keep in mind that it might break when you do this. Then, simply unhook the balance from the shoe and unscrew it at the top. Slide the cam to the top of the window track (for bottom sash, at least; it would be the opposite for the top sash) to a cut-out so that you can remove it.

The balance itself looks like our Series 600 while the tool you will need is our 75-006. See the two videos below for more information.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)