Help replacing Peachtree 81-112

A quick learner from Destin, FL says:
I purchased the same 81-112 replacement rollers for a Peachtree Citation sliding door. What is the proper technique for (1) removing the bottom rail from the door; and (2) removing the old rollers? These rollers have never been replaced in 27 years!

Thanks for your help.
Tom E.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure, I'd be happy to help! The first thing you need to do before anything else is remove the sliding door. Sometimes you can lift the door up and swing in to the house, other times you need to remove the screen door and stationary glass door and swing the door outside. Either way, once it's out you want to lay it on two saw horses, or any stable flat surface. Unscrew the two bottom frame screws and use a hammer and a block of wood to carefully knock off the bottom rail.

So that's the rail out. Now you can slide out the old wheel assembly and slide in the new 81-112. Reinstall the bottom rail by lightly tapping it back in place to the door and reinstall the door frame screws. Set the door in the track and adjust the wheels for the door to make sure it squares up and operates smoothly.
A quick learner from Hilton Head, SC says:
wish it were that easy.
citations are metal doors & the bottom rail encases a "rubber" glazing - both glazing & metal rail have "ribs" to hold them tightly in place against the glass.
if you slide the glazing around the glass first, the ribs prevent the bottom rail from sliding over it. if you attempt to install glazing & rail over glass together, it is nearly impossible to stop the glazing from getting in its own way.
I'm still trying to figure a fool-proof process BUT I know it will have something to do with linseed oil.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I would try silicone spray on the vinyl ribbed glazing spline to see if it would make the frame slide more easily on the glass.
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.