Help with Ordering, non-tilt window balances

A home owner from Florida says:

My home was built in 1991 and I want to replace the channel balances for non-tilt windows 1/2" wide balances total of 14 windows - 2 balances for each side so a total of 28 balances.

I don't understand how to translate your product number with my channel balance numbers that I located at the bottom of the channel balance. I need:

• (8) #1640
  • (6) #2530
  • (6) #2220
  • (2) #2330
  • (2) #2540
  • (4) #1620

They are all at various stages of broken and are extremely difficult to access.

I have attached a picture of only one window balance for #1620

Thank you for your help!

Lisa

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1514.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1520.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1521.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1510.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1620
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Lisa! Looking at your photos, I believe your balance to be a match for our Series 390 channel balance. This has a 19-002 top and 15-001 bottom, so as long as those match then I think you'll be good to go.

Each size you have listed is a standard part and can be purchased directly from our site at your convenience. 

Thanks for considering us and please let me know if you had any questions, or if you'd like me to clarify on my recommendation.

A home owner from Florida says:
Hi Tom! Thank you for your help!

Do the numbers I see on the bottom of the balances help with knowing the "size" of the balance to order?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sort of. The logic is a little silly, but I'll do my best to explain.

Most channel balance stamps are made up of four digits, like yours. The second two digits are sequential (10, 20, 30, 40, etc.) and we use them to determine the calibration of the spring. 1620 in your case is the second strength grade for your size and indicates that two balances can carry a sash weighing 8 through 20 pounds. The first grade is 10, which indicates 5 through 8 pounds, and the third grade is 30, which indicates 12 through 14 pounds.

This exact weight range isn't something you can determine just by looking at the stamp, so don't worry. That's information that our company has access to, and we do provide it on our site for each balance size.

But what does the "16" mean? That indicates the height of the visible glass. This is a little frustrating to me since many customers (rightly) assume that it indicates the actual length of the balance. Instead, it's always 1" less than the actual length of the balance.

In other words, we can look at your stamp and know that it's 17" long since the stamp starts with "16." I know it's confusing, but that's just how they do it. Hopefully my explanation makes sense!

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.