Help with a window balance repair

A quick learner from Sorrento, FL says:

I am selling my home and the inspector found a window that was not staying up when opened. I pulled the window and found "stuff" appearing to be in disrepair. Before this event, I did not know what a window balance was. I am pretty handy fixing things, but have never done a window. The marking on the balancer showed a 32F. I am going to need two new balances and a little help with some guidance to make sure I do this correctly. I am also going to need the small post screwed on each lower side of the window that inserts into the balance since one broke (no picture).

I appreciate any help you can offer along with the parts I need for the repairs.

Thanks in advance,

Dave 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window 7.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Dave. Your old balance assembly is unfortunately no longer made and it is not something that we can supply. However, we do have an assembly that may work just as well, but it's a little different.

It is the same basic configuration as your original except instead of the rectangular pivot shoe, it has the 15-230 "T" shaped shoe connected directly to the bottom of the metal channel. We would also be adding 2" to the length of the balance to compensate for that difference.

Does this interest you? If so, let me know and we can work from there. 

Yes - Thanks Tom - I would like to order whatever I need to get this window operational again.

This window has a chord attached to each balance assembly so I assume this new balance assembly will work with the chord?

Let me know what I need and point me in the direction I need to go!
Thanks,
Dave
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good! I'll email you a purchase link and price quote now that will let you add 2 to your cart.

The cord in question is actually part of the balance, not the window. You'll want to remove the old one before you install ours.

Excellent - thanks Tom.

Three questions:
1) Do these kits come with directions?
2) Can I reuse the cords that are already on the old balance hardware?
3) does this come with the small post screwed on each lower side of the window that inserts into the balance? One of them is broken.
Profile picture of Tom

These balances will not include instructions, but they're very simple to install. I can walk you through it now in just a couple lines.

The first step is to tilt the balance sideways (so that the "T" shoe is pointing up-and-down instead of side-to-side) and slide it into the track, shoe-first. Then, twist it so that it's oriented properly and tilt it up until the metal channel is all the way in the track. Then it's a simple matter of placing the hook in the appropriate hole. That's all there is to it.

The post you described sounds like the pivot bar. May I see a photo of the undamaged one out of the sash? That will give me a better idea of what you're working with and whether we have anything that will fit in the same space while also being compatible with the new balance shoe.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.