Help with channel balances

A home owner from USA says:
I spoke with someone in customer care, and he suggested I email pictures of my channel balance.
One of the channel balances broke on one side of the tilt window.
It is 1/2 in by 1/2 inch and has 28F BSI AR stamped on it. I have attached 4 pictures. I believe the window
has been discontinued.

Please see if you can come up with something that will work.

Thank you,

Bill
User submitted photos of a window balance.
A home owner from USA says:
In doing some research on your website, I think the following parts could replace the current one.
Please let me know what you think.
5900-28 yellow tip spiral balance
26-361 tilt pivot
15-045 pivot shoe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good eye! Yes, I think our S900-28 yellow tip with a 26-361 tilt pivot is a good way to go. The pivot shoe looks more like our 15-134, however. You might also want the charging tool to make it an easy installation. See our 75-006.
A quick learner from winter haven, fl 33884 says:
Thank you for the quick response. You are correct the 15-134 shoe is identical to the one currently on the assembly.
I ordered the parts and think this set-up with the spiral balances will work better than the channel balances.
Profile picture of Paul
Awesome, please let me know how it works out!
I received the parts today, installed and the window works great.
Only problem I had was determining where to drill and locate the top of the spiral balance without stressing the balance when the window was closed. I installed the balance lower than necessary, but am still happy with the results.
Also I am not sure how many times I should turn the balance when charging without over turning. I had to turn a maximum of 10 turns.
I notice on your video replacing spiral balances, a window sash stop that snaps in the channel is removed. My window takes the same kind of stop, but I cannot find replacements anywhere.
Do you sell that particular stop? I need a longer channel stop than I currently have.
Minimum 5 inches long. Any longer I can cut.
Profile picture of Paul
I'm glad to hear it's working out. To determine where to locate the balance attaching screw, unwind the balance spiral and let it drop until it touches the sill. Locate the top of the balance hole and drill for the screw. Now, bring up the spiral to the balance tube and give it three to four turns with the charging tool. As for the stop, I'm afraid we do not carry a replacement. The manufacturer has discontinued them.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.