High load balances

A home owner from San Diego says:
Need to replace what appear to be 751-22 balances, but the spring loads are higher (sash weighs ~36 lbs). Balance model numbers are 21TGX and other is 21DS36L. Can you get these and do you know the specification difference?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience in this matter. After extensive research, we have learned that we can replace these balances, yes! Can you just tell me how many you need? Once I know that, I'll email you an order link and price quote for the requested quantity.

I need 16 balances for these windows. However, I would like to understand the load difference between these two balances because they vary from one side of the sash to the other in my installation. The windows do not work very well, so I want to correct this by using the same balance load on each side of the sash (like is recommended). For this, I need to know the support weight for the TGX and DS36L model numbers.

Also, some of the plastic channels have damage. Is this available?
Profile picture of Tom

Oh, I get it. I thought these balances were for two different windows. One sash should absolutely have the same stamped balance on each side. Someone must have repaired this window in the past and just put in whatever they wanted.

The first one, 21TG, actually doesn't have to be custom made. That would just be our S751-22 with a 21TG stamp option. You can see on our store page that this option carries 20 through 30 pounds.

As for the 21DS36L, this uses a special double spring setup (one tiny spring inside a larger spring) and is specifically calibrated to carry around 36 pounds.

What is the weight of your sash? That will confirm which of these you actually need for this window. I'd wager it's the 21DS36l, since I doubt a contractor would lazily toss in such a special balance when they could have easily matched up the 21TG, but it's better to confirm just in case.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say plastic channel. That could be a lot of things. Are you referring to the jamb track where the balances actually sit? If so, we cannot do anything to replace or repair those. You'd have to contact the original makers of the window.

Yes, I am talking about the jamb track. I've seen this for purchase from some window folks.

All 4, double hung windows are the same. The eight sashes have different balances on each side of the sash (21 TGX [not 21 TG per your response] and 21 DS36L). We are the original owner and this is the way they were installed from the very beginning, different one side to the other.

As far as the sash weight, 36 lbs, as noted in the original post.

I have the feeling that the windows had the dsl36l on both sides and the sashes would not stay down. The one tgx was likely a cheap "fix" to keep the window down. Do you know the load associated with the TGX?

Profile picture of Tom

"TGX" is just a code used in an older rating system. It is functionally the same as "TG." 

If your sashes are 36 pounds, then the 21DS36I shouldn't have been too strong like you describe. The sash would have closed normally without any issue. Can you confirm the exact weight of the sash down to the ounce? We can definitely send you balances with this stamp, but I don't want you to install them just to find out they aren't calibrated properly. They are made to be precise.

I cannot confirm the weight of the sash to the ounce. 35-36 lbs is what I measured. I checked all the balances and it looks like there are two sashes that have the same balance on each side. One sash has 21ds36L on each side and one has 21TGX on both sides. The sash with the two 21TGXs is difficult to lift and is not sample to copy.

The 21TGX is undersized in any case (rated for well under 35 lbs). Perhaps a 21DS35L (1 pound less) may make sense, used for all replacements.

BTW, the failures in the balances are in the plastic parts. Are these plastics rated for the higher load?

Cost for 12, 21DS35(or 36)L?
Profile picture of Tom

Well, our S751-22 with a 21TG stamp doesn't need to be specially made. That can always be an emergency backup option if necessary. I will also email you a price quote and order link for the 21DS35L stamp.

As for the plastic parts, they should work regardless as long as the spring strength and sash weight match. They don't really make stronger rated nylon parts for specific weights.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.