How can I drill out this remaining piece of screw?

A quick learner from Central Florida says:
Hello Tom,

I have a set of doors where the bottom frame screws have broken off. I have been unable to get a an extractor to drill into the remaining piece of the screw. It looks like the door frame screws are turned into a slot in the aluminum. How do you suggest I remove the broken screw?

I am thinking of using a Dremel cutting wheel to split the screw and then pick it out. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best, Tom
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200407_193537.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I have had this problem in the past, but yours has been compounded by the corrosion in the door frame. That is a big hassle, but I will do my best to help you get through it!

What you need to do is to first lubricate the broken screw to loosen it up in the frame. Try a WD-40 or Liquid Wrench. Give the lubricate some time, maybe a day or two, to sink in. Place the door channel into a bench vise to hold it in place while you do this. 

Next, take a slotted screw driver and spread the screw channel in the door frame a little. Then, get a center punch or a scratch awl and use a hammer to drive it under the broken screw. That will hopefully lift it out of the screw channel. You might need to finish the job with a set of pliers. 

After the screw is removed, use your pliers to squeeze the channel together again to accept a new screw or use a longer screw. To be honest, using a stainless steel screw to put the frame back together and might be best to replace all screws at this time.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.