How do I install the 58-085

A handy person from MA says:
Hi - I need some help on how to replace the weatherstripping that goes on the outer edge of 2 metal doors. This minimizes any air gap in between the doors when they are closed. I believe I need the 7' Commercial Door Weatherstrip
Product Code: 58-085

Thank you!
Steve
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! This weatherstrip is used on "Kawneer" brand commercial doors and is only held in with small screws in between the wool pile. At what point in the replacement process are you running into issues?
A handy person from West Springfield MA says:
Thanks Dave - Yes it's a Kawneer Door. I can see the screws, I just wanted to make sure I ordered the part. I want to do it myself as I was quoted $300 for someone to come out and do it.
Wow! That's quite a lot of money for such an easy task. I can say for sure that it's a simple enough procedure and you shouldn't have any problems. If you run into any snags, though, feel free to let us know. I'd be more than happy to help--free of charge!
A quick learner says:
Just purchased weatherstripping 58-085 for my kwaneer doors. The channel on the door measues just under a 1/2 in wide. The weatherstripping measures 1/2 wide. I had to remove some of the material on the sides of the weatherstripping in order to get it into the channel on the doors. As a result its not adjustable with the spring clips. Its more like a press fit, and in some spots it doesnt protrude out far enough to contact the other door. Any suggestions
Hmm... I'm not sure what the issue could be. I've personally never had problem installing our 58-085 on a Kawneer door. You could possibly add small washers behind it to pack it out. It could also be that you have an old Amarlite door. If that's the case, I'm not sure if we can help, since they are no longer made.
A purchasing agent from Kirtland Ohio says:
Our Kawneer doors are 12 years old. i believe that we need 58 085 weatherstripping as the space between the 2 doors is very obvious. Help me understand the spring clips and their purpose. should we anticipate the issues as noted on a Feb 11, 2014 post?
The springs go in behind the 58-085. So, with the screws, you can adjust the gap between doors depending on how tight you make the screws.
How to Install a Commercial Door Weatherstrip
How to Install a Commercial Door Weatherstrip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.