How do I replace the 84-070 Andersen screen door roller?

A quick learner from corona ca. says:
i have a anderson screen door and the bottom left roller looking out is broken how do i replace it
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks so much for reaching out to us. I'll do my best to answer your question.

The trickiest part about replacing your Andersen screen door wheel assembly is removing the broken roller. These are removed and installed through a hole in the bottom of the screen door frame.  To remove the old roller, you must try to squeeze the clips on both sides of the roller and pull the wheel assembly out of the door frame. Sometimes the clips break, which allow you to easily pull the old roller out. 

To install the new roller, you need to work it into the door frame while rotating it to allow the adjusting bar to fit into place. The diagram below should hopefully clarify what I mean.  The new roller will snap in when pushed all the way into the door frame. After the new roller is snapped into place, use a screw driver to adjust the wheel height via the adjusting bar. 

Installation diagram of the Andersen lower patio screen door wheel assembly

A home owner says:
how do I adjust the andersen bootom roller? there's a hole above the wheel with a slot for a screwdriver, but the slot will not turn either way. I pulled the wheel assembly and don't understand what the adjust is supposed to do: there's a flat top and a curved bottom; there are notches in the curved part. Am I at the TOP if I'm on the last notch? ie the flat part is horizontal
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

To adjust the 84-070 screen door roller, you'll want to turn the long spindle that comes out of a hole on the side of the patio screen door. 

If you turn that spindle and finds that it's not adjusting, then it may be stripped. Replacing the entire roller assembly is your only option in that scenario.

A home owner from Fairfield says:
I just spoke to an Anderson repair representative today, and he said that these are removed from the door by pushing firmly on the adjustment spindle with a screwdriver. The assembly should then pivot down and out, similarly to what the illustration shows above. I can't say if it works, as mine fell out on their own after 10 years of use.
A home owner from Branford CT says:
Tried and failed. I was not successful in removing the old broken lower assembly. I knocked the plastic tabs off with a narrow chisel but still couldnt fish it out through the hole. Unfortunately I lost it in the door frame so it;s floating around in there. The new roller assembly snapped right in. It's in there but doen't seem to interfere.
A quick learner from Bethel, CT says:
I used a pair of needle nose Vise grips and pried + pulled both bottom rollers out ( there almost 12 years old) a little work and they came right out. The new ones snapped right in as good as new.
A home owner from New York says:
I just purchesed a new screen door, my rollers are a year old so I wanted to save them. In order to remove them you need a ssall flat head screw driver. Slide the screw driver under the long hinge while pushing the wheel into the screen frame against a 2 prong tab that hooks the hinge to the screen. It may be hard to see the hooks that are holding it to the screen. It was very quick and easy to remove with no damage to the old roller.
A quick learner from Greenlawn,nybt says:
Look at the insertion diagram. Removal is the opposite. The idea is to push in on the adjusting plsitic screw and pry down on the middle bottom clip . ounce you have freed the middle clip just rotate the old roller aasembly. out. No problem.. LOOK AT THE INSERTION DIAGRAM..
A quick learner from Keene, NH says:
It's tooooo easy. Find the little holes either side of the roller. Use a sharp awl, or 1/2 scissors to move the little snaps towards the wheel. The assembly then almost falls out
A handy person from LI, NY says:
My mom has an Andersen Slider Door at her house. The screen door is probably 20 years old and has been moved. After the move both the door and the screen seem harder to roll, certainly harder than the one in my house which is about 10 years old. The screen in particular seems to have so much tension on it.

I oiled the upper springs and around the wheels which helps a bit but it still seems like too much effort to open and close the door. Will replacing the wheels help? TIA
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Yes, I think I agree with your assessment. In your case, replacing the entire roller assembly seems to be the most viable option.

A home owner from Indianapolis,IN says:
Replacing the lower rollers was very easy. I just used a scratch awl and pryed up at the slots on either side of the roller base. Pull the old one out from the inside edge first so the adjustment screw won't hang up. Install the new roller adjustment screw end in first and snap in place. Be sure to align the adjuster screw with the opening in the door so it doesn't bind. The whole job took about five minutes..
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

That's great to hear! I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever needed anything else. We're always here to help.

A handy person from Tenafly, NJ says:
If you don't have a scratch awl, use a pair of #6 round nails, one in each hole. This depresses the plastic spring clip that is just behind the flange (or is it a tang?) and out it pops.
A handy person from Michigan says:

I used a small flat head screwdriver to push the tabs in and then gently pried them out on both sides and then was able to work the old wheel assembly out. Mine lasted about 16 years and now the wheels have all broken and the adjustment is not able to be made without removing them. I am trying to find a store in my area to buy new ones from the only one I found in Saginaw

A home owner from New York says:
I had an awful time getting this right. But this post was the best. So I thought I'd add a picture as it can sometimes be better than 1000 words...
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Andersen Lower Roller Replacement.jpg
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.