How do you replace these partition door latches?

A professional from Edwards AFB says:
How do you actually replace the 10-554 on the door??
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Here is an installation diagram of the 10-554 partition door latch.

Additional information for 10-554
Additional information for 10-554

A quick learner says:
Is there a trick to getting the old outer cover off?? Or just bang the heck out of it??
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I am sorry I do not have any tips on removal of the old door latch. I have personally never worked with lavatory partition hardware. Be careful you do not hurt the frame during the removal of the old door latch. I will try to find out more information on how to remove the old door latch from other contractors I work with. Let me know if you come across a solution yourself.
A landlord says:
you need to drill the old one out.
A contractor from fontana ca. says:
How do i take off the old latch? I just cant figure it out, I'm ready to break out my dremmel tool. Whats the trick?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I've placed you in an existing discussion regarding the installation and removal and installation of 10-554 Concealed Door Latch.

As for the installation, please take a look at the diagram above.

Unfortunately we currently do not have many tips on removing the old door latch.
A quick learner from Keene Texas says:
Just removed one. Since you are replacing it, breaking it shouldn't be an issue. You will need a hammer, vise grips, and a slot screwdriver.

Take your visegrips and twist off the inside knob. This will allow you to push the latch all the way out, giving you access to the inside of the unit. With the latch out, put your screwdriver into the outside indicator opening, with the handle out towards the extended latch, pry the outer plate, so that the side closest to the hinge, is off the door surface about an 1/16". Now, from the inside, use your screwdriver and hammer to punch, using the indicator opening again as your punch point, hit it and it should come out. Mine did, but your results may vary.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great advice! Thanks for the tip. I hope this will help others struggling with this project.
A handy person from Houston, TX says:
Yes! Just removed two and replaced two. It's really a two person job, but I followed the Quick Learner from Keene, TX's advise and it worked!
A professional from Utah says:
Drill a hole just above the "Occupied/Unoccupied" indicator window (outside of the door). That will remove one of the tabs that locks it in, and it should pop right out.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0889[27379].jpg
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.