How to Remove Rollers

A quick learner from Ingleside on the Bay, Texas says:
Door size - 36" X 72" 1 fixed & 1 sliding panel. Door model, Jeld-Wen Premium Atlantic 3800 vinyl patio sliding door. I need to replace the roller assy. Jeld-Wen said I need to remove the full light glass to access the bolts that hold the roller assembly in place. The bolts screw into the top of the roller assembly housing.

Unit has dual rollers. I can drill the rivet out of 1 roller but the rivet in the other roller is recessed into the housing. I need to remove the housing to gain access to the rivet.

The vinyl glazing beads around the edge of the glass do not pop off. I'm guessing when you remove the glass the vinyl glazing beads come out with the glass as a unit.

I'm a master automotive tech 16 years. I'm sure I can handle this if I have the directions. Also are the glass tracks superior to stainless steel track. Is the stainless-steel rollers superior to the steel rollers?

I have Pella double pane windows & had to replace the sash in several units. I used the tool in picture #4 to remove the sash from the vinyl frames. I continuously sprayed rubbing alcohol on the blade of the tool so the silicone would not stick to the blade. This would allow me to cut a window sash out in 1 minute.

Thank you very much for your help. Please advise.

Sincerely, Ron
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SAM_2653.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SAM_2655.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SAM_2656.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SAM_2657.JPG
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We can't confirm the correct replacement without seeing yours uninstalled but take a look at the suggested rollers to get started, along with the related videos shown on this page. I have replaced rollers in some Aluminum frame patio doors where you had to remove the glass to access the mounting screw, but not in a Vinyl patio door. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to remove the glass to access the rollers, but it sounds like a lot of work. I would try lifting off the sliding panel from the inside of the house. If it does not clear the bottom track, you will need to remove the stationary door as shown in our video.

As for the roller material, stainless steel is preferable but it ultimately depends on the type of roller that you have and the materials that it is offered in. We also suggest the 75-052 glazer for glass removal. Thank you. 

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace the E.Z.D. Glazer handle
How to replace the E.Z.D. Glazer handle
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.