How to determine channel balance weight rating?

A home owner from Jacksonville, FL says:
I need to replace the window balances in several non-tilt aluminum windows of unknown manufacture. The house was built in 1953. I have removed the lower sash from one window. It which measures 51" wide by 22-5/8" ht. The sash weighs 29-30 lbs. The old balances are 1/2" in width and 23" in length. The balances are each stamped "30" and "2240."

According to the SWISCO website, the 2240 balance is rated for 19 - 23 lbs.

My question is - If the window uses two balances (left and right), should I calculate half of the sash weight for each balance? For example, my sash weighing 30 lbs. should require two balances, each rated for 15 lbs. SWISCO's #2230 which is rated for 12-19 lbs. would seem to apply. Or, do you always assume that two balances will be used? In which case, a 30 lb. sash would require two #2260 balances, each rated for 27-30 lbs.

I should add that this particular window, using two #2240 balances, has always been difficult to raise and lower, but I realize that might not be the fault of the balances.

I have several windows that need to be addressed. All of the windows appear to be identical but, at this point, I have removed only the one sash and balances for further examination.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Dan
A home owner from Jacksonville, FL says:
I should have described myself as "Slow Learner." After sending yesterday's question I realized that I had replaced the channel balances in one of the windows two years ago with your Series 380, Option 2260. That replacement went smoothly but the #2260 may be too strong for the approximately 30 lb. sash. That window sash is now easy to raise but somewhat difficult to lower. I suspect that the Option 2230 (rated 12-19 lbs.) would have been more appropriate.

HOWEVER, I now have another problem. Today, I attempted to remove the sash on another one of the problem windows. That sash is in the "down" (closed) position and I am unable to raise it to the take-out clips. I can't raise it at all. Thinking there might be a problem with the window latch, I removed the latch, but that did not help. I suspect that one, or both, of the old balances has broken in the channel in such a way that the sash is jammed in the down position. In that position it's not possible to shift the sash to the left or right in order to swing the sash out. I should add that the top sash guides are visible and do not appear to be damaged. Do you have any suggestions for removing the sash from the "down" position, or how to get it up.

Thank you again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For side load channel balances, you don't want to divide the sash weight between two springs. If your sash weighs 29 pounds, you definitely want to use the 2260. That said, you mentioned you removed the old balances and the stamp was 2240, for a sashes weighing 19 through 23 pounds. I would triple check the exact weight just to be sure.

As for the sash stuck in the window, maybe try some WD-40 on the sides of the sash to see if that would loosen it.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.