How to install S745-32 balance.

A quick learner from Mary Esther, Fl says:
I just bought two of your S745-32 window balances (24 to 28 lbs) to install and test before I buy enough to repair all the windows in my home. The old balance cords and/or springs were broken so there was no issue removing them or the window. I have two problems.

1)The old screws holding the balance inside the sash frame work OK at the top of the balance but the lower end of the new balance has a metal tab on the back side which places the balance too far away from the sash frame for the screw to get a bite. Do you have a longer, replacement screw available.

2)What is the proper way to pull the balance cord all the way out so the plug can be installed in the window frame? Is there a special tool. I don't want to break anything in the new balances and I can't even budge the cord and plug by pulling on the plastic plug. Thank You
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for your patience. For your first question, concerning the screw length, if this is the first time these balances were replaced, the original screw should be the correct length. You commented that it seems too short. To prevent any damage to the sash, maybe go up just 1/8" or maybe even 1/4" to a longer screw. I would take the old screw to your local hardware store to get a longer one.

For your second question, screw in the top hole of the balance and use needle nose pliers to pull the cord out to give some play. Then, lock the cord with locking pliers. That will allow you to place the plug in the window jamb. Once that's in, release the cord slowly. These are under a lot of tension so you have to be careful, you don't want it to snap up. Since this is a particularly strong balance spring, I suggest having someone help you.
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.