How to remove Milgard Staionary Panel?

A home owner from USA says:
In order to replace rollers on my Milgard sliding patio door, it appears that I need to first remove the stationary panel in order to swing the bottom of slider out over the shorter edge of the (classic) vinyl door frame. Can you provide a description of the removal process or the mechanisms employed to retain the panel?

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. These Milgard vinyl doors have to be removed a specific way. The company suggests lifting and swinging the door in instead of removing the stationary panel. If you don't have the clearance, look at the interior of the stationary door at the jamb pocket to see if there are any screws or clips securing the stationary door to the jamb. Also check the outside exposed end of the stationary door for any top or bottom bracket securing the door. As far as the roller, I suspect you need the 81-018, but removing it and showing us photos will be the best way to confirm.  

A professional from California says:

I live in California and have some experience with these doors. Check for anti-removal blocks in the header. Raise the rollers as high as they will go. Some doors are really squeezed in there. You may need a wide putty knife to help slip the rollers over the inside leg. Sometimes it takes more than 1 person. 2 to lift and one to pry? Be careful not to bend vinyl too far, It seems flexible, but it snaps like glass if you bend it too far. I would be interested in seeing the shorter edge of your door. It may exist, but not on any I've seen. Please post pictures.

A quick learner from El Dorado Hills, CA says:
Hi,

I have the same problem as the original poster. I have a Milgard sliding glass door that needs roller replacement. I cannot figure out how to remove the door. I've replaced many rollers before, but this door is to tall to clear the bottom guide edge for removal.

I've fully retracted the two rollers, removed the right/left trim pieces, I've removed the top bumper blocks. When I lift the edges of the door, they seem to be able to clear the guide edge, but the majority of the middle section is no where near clearance. Seems to be a 1/4" or more. I did make a little progress the other day by putting a putty knife underneath the door on both ends (see picture below), then was able the get the door over the edge by bending the doors inside bottom edge, but I stopped in fear of breaking it.

It seems like the door grew or the frame shrunk since it was installed!

I'll post some pictures, but would love to know how hear how the pros do it!

Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D61540A1-7F35-415D-8AC4-9B4B51530CF5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BE35E211-C0C1-40BC-A7DB-B2A45FC2A4BD.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D7007325-B3CD-4F9A-AFBA-6BBEF6A4BE72.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4FB8C448-3585-4F27-AA05-1000BCE3D26B.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I had a few thoughts. First off, I find it easier to remove the sliding door panel from the exterior of the house after removing the stationary door panel. Secondly, looking at your first photo, it appears that you have an aluminum extrusion on the exterior side of the lower track. See if you can pry it up and out of the track. That could be what is stopping you from clearing the bottom track. Also take a look at the related videos on patio doors to see how those patio doors were taken out of the frame. That may give you some better insight as to how these generally work. A worst case scenario would be that the header has sagged and the top of the door main frame is pressing down on the doors.

A home owner from Modesto says:
I had Milgard windows and sliders installed in 2005. Recently I had cause to remove one of my sliders due to "sticky" movement. In order to get the slider out, I had to adjust the wheels all the way up and then, with the use of two putty knives, work the bottom out and away from the track. It was tough going, and equally as tough reinstalling. Had I been aware of the possibility of breaking the plastic, I may not have persisted. The door fairies were with me.
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Track
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Track
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Stainless Steel Sliding Glass Door Tandem Roller, 81-149
SWISCO Stainless Steel Sliding Glass Door Tandem Roller, 81-149
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.