How to remove an 82-400

A handy person from Ashland, MA says:
I quickly looked at a friends lockset with a sticky deadbolt and offered them help. This unit is 25+ years old, uses all slotted screws, is stamped "The Atrium Lock", and matches the measurements of the 82-400. They are missing a key.

I couldn't readily find a set screw on the side of the handle cylinders to remove the handle set. Do some older units need to have a cap on the handle ends removed to access a set screw?

There is a door jamb set screw for the lock mechanism, but I wasn't able to readily pull the mechanism out, probably due to the rotation position. Can this be removed without a key?

Are there 82-400 installation instructions online that I could review?

Where can I buy one?(ACE, HD, Leows?)

Thanks!
Win
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Take a look at the video we have on the 40-049. It's a different style handle than yours, but I believe it installs similar to the 82-400 handle set. The process of installation should be more or less the same.

To remove the key cylinder on the 82-400 Atrium handle, there should be a set screw on the edge of door face plate just below the dead bolt. Remove that screw and the key cylinder should be able to be removed. 

Depending on the age and type of key cylinder you might be able to get it re-keyed at a hardware store or locksmith in your area. We do carry the key cylinder 40-123 which is similar to the one that the Atrium handle set has, but we are currently out of stock. I wanted to actually try it out to see in fact if it does work with the Atrium handle set which is how I learned that. That's just how it goes sometimes!

Hopefully this information will be helpful to you. Let me know if you had any questions.

How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.