How would you remove adhesive weatherstripping?

A home owner from Tucson, Arizona says:
I have custom (painted) steel doors and frames on my modern house. I have wool weather stripping that I think is your 58-099 or 58-105. It was apparently glued on, and does not sit in a track. Should I remove the old stuff with a putty knife? What sort of adhesive do you recommend to attach new stripping? Thanks! Do-it-yourselfer....
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to say, this type of weather stripping is normally installed into a track. The nylon backing is very stiff. I think a type of double stick tape would work best. You might be better off going to a hardware store in your area and see what kind they suggest. Also take a look at our 58-180 self stick-on foam door seal. That might work better to seal up your door. As for removing the old seal, there aren't a lot of tricks for it, at least aside from the usual. Just try to scrape it off as best as you can without damaging the window!
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.