I think the home builder did something wrong

A handy person from Newbury Park, CA says:
I have several non-tilt vinyl windows in my house that use channel balances.

Of the four specific windows I'm working on now, three have sliding sashes that are 29.5" wide x 34.75" high and one is 29.5" x 31.75. The larger windows weigh about 18 lbs.

Based on your website, I identified my channel balances as being the S390 type.

Here's where I can't figure out what the home builder/installer did. The shorter window's channel balance was the same length (31") as the longer windows. In addition to that, 2 of the longer (34.75") windows had channel balances that were 34" long. Here's a list of what I have:

1) 29.5" x 34.75" weighing 18-lbs with a 31" channel balance stamped 3030
2) 29.5" x 34.75" weighing 18-lbs with a 31" channel balance stamped 3030
3) 29.5" x 34.75" weighing 18-lbs with a 34" channel balance stamped 3330
4) 29.5" x 31.75" weighing 17-lbs with a 31" channel balance stamped 3040

So you can see that the installation seems a bit messed up. I know I will need the S390 style of channel balances but what length should I select for specific window heights. I can't really rely on what was installed. I assume the bottom of the channel balance shouldn't stick out below the bottom of the window (like it does on window 3 and 4 above?

Let me know what you think and if you need to see pictures.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us. So just to clarify, the balances on windows 3 and 4 are too long while the balances on windows 1 and 2 are working correct.

With that in mind, you could use our S390-31 with a 3030 stamp for the first three window and then our S390-28 with a 2730 option for the last window. I think that will work for you.

It's possible the installers just put in whatever they had on hand without worrying about whether or not it works. It happens all the time, unfortunately.

Thanks Paul. This will help with what I need to order. As I thought, the channel balances are not supposed to extend below the window sash.

In the case of Window 3 and 4, the builder used channel balances that were too long and for window 4 used a channel balance that was both too long and intended for a heavier window.

I'm adding some photos as a follow-up but I'm sure I get it now.

Do you have a recommended lubricant for the vinyl window sash channels?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Balance Stamp IMG_0420.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel-Balance-IMG_0416.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel-Balance-IMG_0417.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel-Balance-IMG_0418.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Wow, yeah, they definitely shouldn't be sticking out that far. I feel confident the sizes I recommended will work, but let me know if you run into any issues with them.

As for lubricating the track, we recommend silicone spray. We like this because it doesn't attract dust or debris. 

Paul, I installed several new channel balances (and ordered more) I also moved some old ones that still worked fine but were too long for the windows they were in (but just right for the window I moved them to).

My new question is about the top channel guides. I'm noticing on some windows, the guides seem to be digging into the side of the window frame creating hair like debris.

What do you think is happening in this case (pictures included).
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0467.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0468.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0469.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0470.JPEG
Profile picture of Paul

That's definitely no good. That may be caused by the bottom nylon fittings being too big. You had mentioned before that you have the Series 390, which has a large 1-1/8" deep shoe. There is also the Series 351, which has a smaller 1" deep shoe. If the shoe is too deep, then it would theoretically be digging into your jamb since there's not enough room for it. I would definitely remeasure the shoe on your old balance to confirm exactly what you need.

I'll take a look at that. The builder definitely used the 390 style but also mistakenly used channel balances that were too long for the windows. So it's possible they used the wrong style channel balance as well.

However I don't think it can be the bottom fittings because the 'dug in' track lines start at the top of the moving sash and up to the height the window typically travels. If it were the bottom nylon fittings, I would think I'd see the same thing happening on the exposed track when the window is fully open.

Is it possible this damage was caused over time from lack of lubrication with dirt particles getting embedded on the top guide? I'm going to inspect some windows I haven't worked on yet.
I checked other windows that have rarely been used over the 19 years they've existed. They also have the dug in tracks. They are not very deep. I assume the hair like debris are thin shavings of vinyl.

I don't think the shoe depth is an issue because there's some play side to side (though there are areas where the window frame seems to narrow a little bit (another issue with the installer I assume). But in general, with the proper lubrication and the correctly weighted channel balance, the windows seem to be moving smoothly. From my inspection of the untouched windows, it seems the vinyl hair like shavings were already there in place on the track before I started this round of maintenance. They only started coming off after I cleaned up and lubricated the tracks then exercised the window several times.
Profile picture of Paul

After consideration, and reviewing your photos and description, I think the best explanation for the scraping balances is due to the previous owners forcing the sashes up and down with incorrect balances installed. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. The top and bottom nylon guides can't raise the balance channel from cutting into the window track, which caused the vinyl window track to form a groove. If the groove is not too deep, you might be able to use a fine grit sandpaper and try smooth out the window track and then spray it with the silicone.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.