Identify balance

A quick learner from New Jersey says:

What is my replacement balance

#1940 marked on it

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy season. We can definitely replace this balance, but it will have to be a special order. This is kind of a funky balance and I'll need you to confirm some details before we get started. I'll do my best to explain, and I apologize in advance if it's too confusing!

To start out, this balance is part of an asymmetrical hinged window. What this basically means is that the balance on the right side of the window will be different from the balance on the left side of your window.

What you're showing me now in your photos is a 20" long balance with a 19-008 top nylon attachment and 15-025 bottom nylon attachment. It's also stamped 1940, as you mentioned.

The balance on the opposite side of the window, however, should be 20" long with a 19-008 top attachment and NO bottom attachment. It will also have a different stamp (probably 1930 but I'm not sure, that's just a guess).

So to start from the top, did you only need the balance pictured? If so, how many did you need?

If you needed both sides, can you tell me what the stamp reads for the other one? Can you also confirm how many of each you needed?

Once I have this information, I'll email you a special order link and price quote for the requested hardware.

A handy person from New Jersey says:
Thanks for responding. The window actually has the same balance on the left side with the same #1940 but shoe broke quite some time ago. The window swing out right to left on plastic hinges. One of those is broken also.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for clarifying. The balances should be different, however your setup isn't totally unheard of. I do remember one or two customers in the past who had identical balances on this window.

If that's what you want to stick with, then I can send you a custom order link for two 20" long balances with a 19-008 top, 15-025 bottom, and a 1940 stamp. However I would triple check just to be 100% sure this is what you need. While not unheard of, it's still very uncommon. If you have the same window elsewhere in the house then I would definitely check it out to be sure.

In the meantime, I'll send you an order link for two identical balances. Let me know if you have any questions.

Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.