Identifying a replacement patio door mortise lock

A home owner from Severn, MD says:
I need to replace the mortise lock in my patio door and it looks like either your 82-243 or 82-218 would be perfect - right down to the angle details by the screw-holes on the end of the mounting/keeper plate. The only identifying mark on the lock is a *V* on one side of the case. The lock was mounted with the adjusting screw at the top. (Does this matter?)

However, I do not know if the keyway is 45 degrees or vertical, as the internal spring broke and I can't get the latch to work properly to determine which it is. (Position in photos is random and I manually pulled the latch out of the lock housing. I believe that the keyway is 45 degrees with the top pointing towards the front of the unit when in the unlocked (lower) position), and with the top of the keyway pointing towards the rear of the lock when it in the locked (upper) position.) Any suggestions on how I can determine if this is correct?

Also, is there any difference between these two models? They look identical escept for possibly the construction materials.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190517_213226.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190517_213235.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190517_214612.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I think the 82-218 or 82-243 will be the better choice. The 82-223 has a characteristic square face, in comparison to the rounded face of the 82-218 or 82-243. This would definitely affect installation, which is why I think even with the question of the keyway being broken, the 82-218 or 82-243 look like the better match.

Profile picture of Bob

Ah, sorry, I should have been clearer! The reason I brought up the 82-223 is because it has the vertical keyway that you were concerned about, and immediately I honed on that issue, since it's a very common question. Apologies. To be clear, when the mortise lock breaks, the keyway spins around just like you're seeing. I'll be up front with you: we see this exact same lock dozens of times everyday. I've seen your very model, down to the 'V', countless times. I'm very confident the 82-218 is the right choice and will replace your old mortise lock. 

To answer your other question, the only difference between the 82-218 and the 82-243 is that the 82-243 is stainless steel, so its a bit more durable and should last longer. There is no operational difference, and either should work fine for you. 

Thank you for your response, however I never mentioned the 82-223 as one I was considering as I noticed the square face and knew that wouldn't work.

Also, I asked what the difference was between the 82-218 and 82-243 locks, but that question was not answered. Nor did you address my question about how to determine if my lock has a 45 degree or a vertical keyway. This is at least as important a question as the shape of the faceplate.
Profile picture of Bob

You're very welcome. Please let us know if we can be of any further help to you. 

Ahhhh! Thank you for your clarification. I agree that the stainless steel one probably would last longer, but since the problem with mine is that the internal spring broke, I don't think that the spring would be any different between the two models.

Again, thank you for helping me figure out/confirm the correct replacement part.
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.