Identifying weatherstripping

A home owner from Sliding windows circa 1986 (walco) says:
Recently I went out on your website to look at some of your products. What I found was just about what I thought I needed for my windows. But I have questions.

My vinyl windows were built in 1986 as far as I can tell and are at a point where we have replaced seals (glass) because of fogging in between panes. Over the last 11 years, we have replaced about 4 windows because of internal leaking. Now though, even though we have replaced the leaky seals, I am noticing condensation on a couple of the windows near the bath (too much steam) at the bottom edge.

No the humidifier is not on but I do feel the window weather stripping may be in need of replacement. My question is; how can I tell what size the weather-stripping is? It does fit into slotted channels on the edges of the windows and it is gray in color and it has a plastic strip in the middle of it but what size?

I have attached some photos to my email in hopes you might be able to solve some questions I had in maybe making the windows I have somewhat energy efficient again.


Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Jim. I'm sorry, but it doesn't look like any of your pictures uploaded. That's okay, though, we may not need any for this type of weatherstripping. It sounds like you have Wool Pile, which is a pretty simple affair.

Now, usually you can remove your weatherstripping by simply sliding it out of the channel. However, if your channel doesn't have any opening, you will have to cut it out. Try to cut out as clean a sample as you can in order to get the most accurate dimensions possible, then see if you can match it up to one of the options in our Wool Pile Section. Let me know how it goes!
A quick learner from Beige sliding windows says:
Tom, thanks for the info! I will need to go and find a window that has an opening which will allow the material to be slid out. Sorry about the pictures. I know I could send them in a regular outlook message just had problems attaching them to this post. Did note other products which I maybe able to use but need to spend more time on the website trying to find the right thing for my beige windows. I have one window which has a slider which has a broken fold dow type vent stop at the bottom of the window. Would like to replace it if I can find one. Thanks! Jim Button
User submitted picture of wool pile and window latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Jim. Have you seen our 26-275 Window Slider Limit Lock? This appears very similar to your own hardware. Let me know what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)