I'm trying to determine what size Wool Pile I need.

A handy person from Irwin Pa. 15642 says:
My sliding windows are 45 years old and need new wool pile badly.

The window has two sizes of wool pile. All of it is small except one vertical strip where the two windows touch when closed, that looks to be bigger.

I pulled out a piece of the small Pile and it is 3/16 wide and 3/32 high in its worn state. I think your 58-001 3/16 times 5/32 would be what I need to replace this.

I can't get a piece of the big Pile out easily, however I can determine that the width of the track opening is .125 ( 1/8 inch ) just like the small Pile so I think its width is 3/16. My problem is its heigth. In its worn state it seems to be 1/16 higher than the small pile and also smashed out to about 3/16 wide.I'm thinking your 58-127 3/16 times 1/4 would work here. I plan on ordering a sample strip of each, but will wait for your answer. I'm going to need about 400 ft. total.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

Since you measured your old wool pile base as 3/16" I would feel good about using a replacement wool pile with a 3/16" base. Your channel measurement of 1/8" concerns me - you believe the old wool pile with the 3/16" base was squeezed into that smaller channel? Did the two channels for the big and small wool pile measure the same?

Determining height is hard when the old wool pile is pretty worn down. Your guesses at the height seem reasonable. Note, that the 58-127 also has a fin seal which will make the pile a little stiffer and not become packed down as much when the window is closed.
A quick learner from New York says:
I am looking for wool pile for old vinyl tilt windows approx 25 years old manufacturer was Universal Windows. How do I determine what size? I did purchase pile seal which was 3/16 X 1/4 which did not fit and I thought that was correct however the width was a little to wide.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Does your window have an existing wool pile already installed? If so, all we would need is the height of the pile and the width of the base, and we would be able to direct you to the best possible match. If not, then we would have to know the dimensions of the slot that the wool pile would slide into.
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.