In swing handle and catch don't line up. Why?

A handy person from Alabama says:
Why does the catch line up with the handle? It would look better if they could be evenly installed.
door lock
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I know what you mean! I've thought the same thing myself. Unfortunately, this is just the way this handle set is designed by the manufacturer. I believe their reasoning is because the locking lever is offset at the top. If they were to offset the catch, and you needed to turn the handle in the opposite direction, the catch wouldn't line up properly. They made the keeper one size so it could be used on either the left or right. Hopefully this clears things up.
A quick learner from Staten Island says:
My handles do not open freely. You have to force when you turn. I think the square rod that turns the handles is bottoming out on either side, inside the lock set. The door thickness is just short of being able to flush out both sides of the lock set on both sides of the door. Should I cut the square rod or pack out the inside face of the lock set to let the square rod move more freely? I did enlarge the center hole a bit to make room. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure if the spindle is the issue. It sounds more like a problem with the handle itself. Usually when a storm or screen handle like this doesn't turn, it's because the spring action for the inside handle is shot in some way. Replacement of the inside handle is usually necessary. 

A quick learner from Staten Island says:
The handle is brand new. The thickness of the door is slightly smaller than the minimum range for this lock set. If I loosen the screws a bit it works fine but then the lock set is too loose and moves around. My guess is that because my door is just below the minimum thickness, I would need to shim one side of the lock set out to create a thicker door so the spindle does not bind on either end.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. That makes sense. Another option aside from shimming the handle would be to cut the spindle to size. These are usually just square rods, if that and can be trimmed down to size with a hacksaw. However shimming the handle would be more forgiving in case you overshoot it.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.